Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody heard of the Back Off Campaign?

(20 Posts)
MrMagnoliasBoot Thu 28-Sep-17 17:23:50

Driving passed my local hospital today I saw a group anti abortion protesters. This is upsetting for many reasons. Woman making difficult personal choices should not be harassed. This is also my local hospital where the deal in adult mental health and run amazing groups. So many vulnerable people use this hospital and shouldn't have to deal with this when accessing services they need.

In the local news article they quoted BPAS

*The Back Off campaign, fronted by BPAS, is calling for MPs and the government to establish buffer zones outside clinics where anti-abortion activity cannot take place.*

While I believe people should be allowed to protest even if I don't agree with them I don't believe people should be allowed to protest outside hospitals and clinics in this way making what may be an extremely difficult time worse for women.

I am glad there as a campaign but I hadn't heard of it until today so was wondering how widely known it is?

I am now going to look in to ways to support it.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/anti-abortion-supporters-campaign-outside-portsmouth-hospital-1-8170808

MrMagnoliasBoot Fri 06-Oct-17 21:47:57

Bump anyone?

This group is still outside my local hospital everyday. Apparently they will be there everyday until the 5th of November!

I have to attend the hospital every week and today there were 2 pro choice supporters there with signs aswell standing on the opposite side of the road to them. The pro choice supporters are trying to get volunteers to go down everyday the anti abortionists are there.

Apart from from anti protests is there anything else that can be done? I am finding the whole situation very upsetting. I am guessing there is no point in trying to talk to this group and they are just going to continue to stand outside the hospital everyday until the 5th of November.

MrMagnoliasBoot Fri 06-Oct-17 21:48:00

Bump anyone?

This group is still outside my local hospital everyday. Apparently they will be there everyday until the 5th of November!

I have to attend the hospital every week and today there were 2 pro choice supporters there with signs aswell standing on the opposite side of the road to them. The pro choice supporters are trying to get volunteers to go down everyday the anti abortionists are there.

Apart from from anti protests is there anything else that can be done? I am finding the whole situation very upsetting. I am guessing there is no point in trying to talk to this group and they are just going to continue to stand outside the hospital everyday until the 5th of November.

theendisnotnigh Fri 06-Oct-17 22:00:35

OP, have a look at the sister supporter campaign in Ealing. There's a thread on here. Horrible selfish unkind bigoted people angry . Hopefully the back off campaign will have an impact.

MrMagnoliasBoot Fri 06-Oct-17 22:11:09

Thank you theend I will take a look. It's just so frustrating.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Fri 06-Oct-17 22:17:54

Here's the Back Off website: back-off.org/

They are asking supporters to write to their MPs, there are template letters available on the site. You can also donate. I think I did both (quite a while back though so my memory is rusty!).

MrMagnoliasBoot Fri 06-Oct-17 22:28:03

MyNameIs Thank you! When I was talking to the Pro Choice supporters today they had never heard of it and I didn't have much time to chat to them as I had an appointment. Apparently they are part of the Pro Choice Southampton Facebook group, which is where they are getting there volunteers from to counter protested. I am not on Facebook at the moment but thinking of rejoining and sending them this info.

I will definitely take it with me next when I go to my appointment to give to the Pro Choice supporters.

MrMagnoliasBoot Fri 06-Oct-17 22:28:05

MyNameIs Thank you! When I was talking to the Pro Choice supporters today they had never heard of it and I didn't have much time to chat to them as I had an appointment. Apparently they are part of the Pro Choice Southampton Facebook group, which is where they are getting there volunteers from to counter protested. I am not on Facebook at the moment but thinking of rejoining and sending them this info.

I will definitely take it with me next when I go to my appointment to give to the Pro Choice supporters.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Fri 06-Oct-17 22:29:42

That would be great! The more letters MPs get, the more likely they are to do something...

MrMagnoliasBoot Fri 06-Oct-17 22:36:07

I am also going to look into counter protesting when I have time off. Apparently it is hard to get volunteers to do it because of work and other commitments where as the pro life group have planned this for a long time and have people standing there all day every day.

MrMagnoliasBoot Fri 06-Oct-17 22:36:10

I am also going to look into counter protesting when I have time off. Apparently it is hard to get volunteers to do it because of work and other commitments where as the pro life group have planned this for a long time and have people standing there all day every day.

MrMagnoliasBoot Fri 06-Oct-17 22:36:57

I apologise for all the double posts. The App isn't working well for me!

ChattyLion Fri 06-Oct-17 22:37:20

The police should always be callled if there is harassment or intimidation, like if these shitheads crowd around women or follow them, or film them or insist on speaking to or calling out to women, or insist on foisting their shitey scaremongering leaflets or baby items on them.

Please also email your local MP if this is happening so they are aware this is going on in their patch. Most normal MPs have no idea how vicious anti choice demonstrators can be and have no understanding of how they couldn't give the tiniest shite about women's health or wellbeing.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:40:02

Pompey did you say mrmagnolia

MrMagnoliasBoot Fri 06-Oct-17 22:49:10

@Rufustherenegadereindeer1 yes Pompey.

@ChattyLion They aren't actually harassing anyone exactly. They are standing with their signs on a piece of land at the entrance to the hospital that doesn't belong to the hospital. The hospital is on a main road with only one entrance, there is no way you can not see them. Plus all the other people driving down this extremely busy main road.

There is only about 6 of them at a time and it's mostly sign holding but it is impossible to miss

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 07-Oct-17 02:48:25

Canada recently did it. 'Bubble zones' around abortion clinics and their staff. Including their homes. I think it's 50 metres but you can apply for more. If they made sure there was a bus stop and a parking space within that 50 metres and clever planning, you could make sure no women have to run the gauntlet to get medical treatment.

wrappedupinmyselflikeaspool Sat 07-Oct-17 08:37:27

I'd be interested in joining a counter protest anywhere in the North. Any northern mumsneters out there would join me?

wrappedupinmyselflikeaspool Sat 07-Oct-17 08:43:12

Also want to say thanks for posting this. Reproductive rights are so easily sidelined these days, it's important to keep on top of this development (increasingly vocal protesters at clinics). Also would be great to actually be able to do something direct to help another woman. I like the sound of the Sister Supporter campaign. And the Back Off work.

niynunwiwi Sat 07-Oct-17 11:47:12

sounds good

btw how come I can post replies but if I make a new thread I get logged out? I am new here

MrMagnoliasBoot Sat 07-Oct-17 12:09:23

I have found this which is a way to counter protest this group that anyone anywhere can participate in.
The idea is you send treats, eg, chocolates, cards ect.. to the clinic that this group is protesting outside for 40 days.

http://www.abortionrights.org.uk/40-days-of-treats/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now