Talk

Advanced search

Good article on trans children and detransitioning

(4 Posts)
exexpat Wed 27-Sep-17 08:13:10

I just read this thoughtful article in 1843 (offshoot of the Economist) questioning early transitioning for children and featuring a detransitioned transman.

www.1843magazine.com/features/when-girls-wont-be-girls

I haven't seen any else post a link to this (apologies if I have missed it on another thread) but thought it might be of interest in the trans discussions going on.

PokemonDont Wed 27-Sep-17 09:13:24

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. This paragraph stood out for me:

"She was unhappy as a child not because she was a boy trapped in a girl’s body but because she didn’t understand that she could be the kind of girl who hated girly things but loved other girls, without having to metamorphose into a man."

Gingernaut Thu 05-Oct-17 00:15:31

Saw this crossing my Facebook feed.

www.reddit.com/r/confessions/comments/73fl75/im_detransitioning/

nauticant Thu 05-Oct-17 10:51:44

I don't have a sense of whether reddit contains made up stories or real stuff but there's some heartwarming stuff in there, for example this reply:

I am very glad for you. I am dysphoric female too and I always was gnc. The moment I knew what sex is and how is boy different from a girl I 'knew' I was a boy. In my country no one knew about any trans movement back then and I discovered it only when I was 14-15 I think. It is virtually impossible to get any hormone treatment in my country for non-adults though. Radical feminism saved me just in time, when I was 17-18. We need to reconnect with our selves and bodies, heal our traumas, dismantle stereotypes and get some healthy self-esteem and confidence, not try to run from or even 'kill' our 'old' selves. This is a road to nowhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now