Talk

Advanced search

Chalkboard outside Belfast pub

(42 Posts)
BackieJerkhart Tue 26-Sep-17 21:51:34

Facebook link

I hope this link works. The post is public but I think you need a FB account to see it.

Anyone not wishing to click, I have included a screenshot.

This is a Belfast pub and their chalkboard today says "you can beat the wife, but you can't beat a £5 lunch"

As expected they have had a massive response to this on their FB page with people voicing their disgust and anger. Is this inciting violence? Worth reporting to PSNI?

TheCraicDealer Tue 26-Sep-17 22:03:00

Have seen this on Belfast Live and commented on it. Absolute disgrace. The initial response from the restaurant was disgusting, as are some of the people defending it as a joke hmm

BackieJerkhart Tue 26-Sep-17 22:09:25

Really infuriating. I have a screenshot of their initial response but don't know how to blur out the name of the guy who posted it. I'll just re type it here.

"My god mate get a life , it's a bit of wit on a small board out side a restaurant , we're not putting it on the front page of a news paper , or making a move , see it for what it is , not as you see it !"

KindleBueno Tue 26-Sep-17 22:20:17

What's worse is the people all men defending it based on 'everyone's too PC these days" nonsense.

Chapterandverse Tue 26-Sep-17 22:21:02

The fact it's only feet away from a Women's Aid federation hasn't escaped me.

I can't believe someone thought it was a 'laugh' or a 'joke'.

BackieJerkhart Tue 26-Sep-17 22:23:30

The fact it's only feet away from a Women's Aid federation hasn't escaped me.

I didn't know that! Given that information this seems deliberately provocative? I wonder if there has been an issue between the pub and the WA federation?

Of course even then it would be a joke. we all just need to lighten up. hmm

Chapterandverse Tue 26-Sep-17 22:43:11

Women's Aid is on University Street - ribs & bibs is on Botanic Avenue - a stones throw away.

Imagine an abused woman today making her way there & seeing that 'joke' - it is unthinkable.

BackieJerkhart Tue 26-Sep-17 22:45:27

It is. Just horrific the thought of the pain and upset this sign has already caused. But it's a joke. Women's feelings are irrelevant when there is a cheap laugh to be had. angry

TheCraicDealer Tue 26-Sep-17 23:02:58

It’s the women defending it that get me. It’s a topic very close to my heart and I try to like and share WA posts as much as I can- although I have never been in a relationship like that I have had good friends who have. It actually breaks my heart that people can still defend this shit and think it basis for a joke. It normalises completely abnormal and abusive behaviour, and paints those that complain as “PC gorn mad”.

NoLoveofMine Tue 26-Sep-17 23:15:14

It's horrendous this kind of issue is still taken so lightly and violence against women seen as a joke by some that at least one person thought this was an acceptable comment to not only make but write on a sign supposed to promote a business. Such violent misogyny being presented as a "joke", actually defended by some people and initially by the business. How abhorrent this was placed in public where women and girls who have suffered male violence are likely to have seen it and awful to think of how this could have made them feel.

The only somewhat reassuring feature of all this is the response to them seems to have been in the main very negative with many condemning them (as should be the case).

Elendon Tue 26-Sep-17 23:31:05

That is disgusting. What makes people think this is funny?

I'm appalled this shite is allowed to stand in public in this day and age. Botanic Avenue is close to Belfast University is it not? (used to live there), perhaps contact the students union I would have thought that the establishment writing this disgusting sentiment would be advertising in the University.

Sorry, I live in Cheshire now, otherwise I'd probably go in person to the place and protest.

Elendon Tue 26-Sep-17 23:34:35

Sorry Queen's not Belfast.

It's been a few decades!

BackieJerkhart Tue 26-Sep-17 23:35:16

I don't understand all the people saying "it's a joke". Which part was the funny bit? If they can explain which bit they find funny they might see what the problem is! Also see some saying "it's a joke, it's just not funny" well then it's not a fucking joke!! hmm

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 27-Sep-17 00:41:19

That is disgusting. What makes people think this is funny?

I suppose the same thought process as went into the posts denying that "The Jimmy Carr is a misogynistic arsehole" on the AIBU thread.

Lots of twaddle about daring to say the things people are thinking/ shocking the audience to look at themselves/ mocking the perpetrator not the victim. Personally I thought "being a misogynistic arsehole" explained it.

DJBaggySmalls Wed 27-Sep-17 00:52:41

If I lived near that I'd go along with a damp rag and some chalk.

stitchglitched Wed 27-Sep-17 00:57:01

As well as being offensive, it's just utterly stupid. In the age of social media it is a masterclass in how to ruin your business.

CanalTrip Wed 27-Sep-17 00:57:39

The manager is trying to claim a new employee of two weeks was responsible for the sign. Really? Was he also responsible for the defence of the sign?

"My god mate get a life , it's a bit of wit on a small board out side a restaurant , we're not putting it on the front page of a news paper , or making a move , see it for what it is , not as you see it !"

What competent manager would let an employee of two weeks post signs and social media comments?

And yes... it probably will be on the front page of a newspaper.

They have taken their Facebook page down now, but twitter and tripadvisor still available.

Elendon Wed 27-Sep-17 01:05:33

Oh I know Lass that thread gave me the rage. Two of those defending Mr C were purportedly from Northern Ireland as well, if I recall correctly.

MumBod Wed 27-Sep-17 04:17:25

I've just written them a lovely review on Trip Advisor.

EvelynWardrobe Wed 27-Sep-17 04:23:43

I can't see the TripAdvisor reviews about the sign, wonder if they've been removed.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Wed 27-Sep-17 04:39:46

Evelyn and MumBod I can't see it either.

MumBod Wed 27-Sep-17 04:43:59

Takes a whole for reviews to be published. Trip Advisor have to approve it first.

MumBod Wed 27-Sep-17 04:44:21

*while

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Wed 27-Sep-17 04:46:11

Tripadvisor look like they have algorithms etc to weed out certain "fake" types of reviews and it seems like you have to actually have eaten there / stayed there to write a review. So it was probably removed for that reason I am guessing.

here

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Wed 27-Sep-17 04:47:52

Oh thanks MumBod, I didn't know that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: