Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Trans group ATH condones punching feminists - The Times

(23 Posts)
ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 24-Sep-17 08:40:17

Behind a paywall for me (hint, hint), but I'm glad this is still being talked about in the mainstream media.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/trans-group-ath-condones-punching-feminists-n6mz06pj3#

FlaviaAlbia Sun 24-Sep-17 08:42:43

Here it is www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trans-group-ath-condones-punching-feminists-n6mz06pj3?shareToken

Rather damming really.

theendisnotnigh Sun 24-Sep-17 08:45:43

Here you are:
'A transgender campaign group that gave evidence to an influential parliamentary committee has publicly supported violence against women.

Members of Action for Trans Health (ATH) have issued a series of incendiary statements on social media since its supporters were involved in an attack on a 60-year-old woman in London’s Hyde Park on September 13.

The victim, Maria MacLachlan, suffered bruising after being punched by an activist widely identified on social media as Tara Flik Wood, 28, a courier who lives in London. MacLachlan was with a group of feminists who were planning to hold a meeting about gender identity.

Unlike MacLachlan and her group, ATH believes that anyone who self-identifies as a woman — without having undergone transition surgery — should be allowed to use women-only spaces such as changing rooms. The ATH extremists refer to MacLachlan and women who hold similar views as “trans-exclusionary radical feminists”, or Terfs.

Jess Bradley was a member of ATH’s executive committee when she gave evidence on gender equality to the women and equalities select committee in 2015.

The committee’s report recommended updating legislation to allow “self-declaration” of gender identity and to “de-medicalise” it — which is now part of a consultation launched by the government on the Gender Recognition Bill.

The Hyde Park violence has triggered the setting up of a new feminist group, Woman’s Place UK, whose co-founder Kiri Tunks said she was “horrified” by the incident.

“We need to be able to discuss this in a respectful way. Women need reserved places and separate spaces. Women’s voices must be heard.”

The trans extremists, however, appear unlikely to listen. After the attack ATH’s Edinburgh branch sent out a series of tweets defending the use of violence: “punching terfs is the same as punching Nazis. Fascism must be smashed with the greatest violence to ensure our collective liberation from it”, and “violence against terfs is always self defense”.

Bradley tweeted, “Terfs are using Nazi tactics. Don’t let it work”, and directed readers to a blog that supported the violence. The ATH account retweeted her message.

A group of 22 women including the gay activist Linda Bellos, the author Bea Campbell and the Labour peer Baroness Prosser have condemned the incident in Hyde Park.

“Violence against women is always wrong. Attempts to minimise or justify this violence . . . are deeply worrying,” they wrote.

Bradley, who is the trans officer for the National Union of Students (NUS), told The Sunday Times she no longer works for the group.

“Anything I say is not the official line of ATH. I retweeted a blog from an angry woman who had written about it. I was not there [when the attack happened]. I do not want to say anything because of the amount of harassment that has come my way because my name is on the ATH website,” she said.

The NUS declined to comment.

ATH said it was “a feminist organisation that works with many other feminist organisations . . . Our values mean opposing both misogynistic and transphobic violence.”

The London branch said it had organised the “action” and regretted “that individuals from both sides were hurt during the altercation”.

Wood did not respond to a request for comment.'

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 24-Sep-17 08:50:08

Thanks flowers The Times seems to have really got on board publishing this stuff, long may it continue!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 24-Sep-17 08:53:27

Good for the Times.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 24-Sep-17 08:54:23

I want to know more about who the group of 22 women are and where I can read their statement. Anyone know?

Fortheloveofscience Sun 24-Sep-17 08:55:47

I bought a subscription yesterday (3 months for £3 digital subscription offer if you're new) and so far have seen this article on the main news page, plus a report on Bath Spa university banning research into post-transition regret and a long comment piece. Really encouraging stuff.

Copperkettles Sun 24-Sep-17 09:33:16

I'm really impressed with The Times atm.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 24-Sep-17 09:33:47

I want to know more about who the group of 22 women are and where I can read their statement.

I was wondering that too...

PencilsInSpace Sun 24-Sep-17 09:35:10

I've just subscribed as it's the third week I've gone over my 2 article freebie limit. How do I do the share token thing?

JynOdan Sun 24-Sep-17 11:07:08

Paging @ErrolTheDragon our national Times link sharing genius

FlaviaAlbia Sun 24-Sep-17 11:07:53

Did my link work PencilsInSpace? It's the first time I tried it.

I went share via email and then copied the link it created.

JynOdan Sun 24-Sep-17 11:07:55

And a million thanks, Errol! flowers

PencilsInSpace Sun 24-Sep-17 11:33:32

I'm logged in so I can't tell if it worked or not grin

nauticant Sun 24-Sep-17 11:37:35

I was very impressed to read this article. It's one of the very few pieces in the mainstream media that has got the facts right.

It seems that the Times family of newspapers have decided to stick their heads above the parapet and oppose unthinking acceptance of the current trans ideology. It is a genuine relief to see this.

In case anyone missed it, there was a small piece on the front page of today's Sunday Times about the headmistress of the private James Allen Girls' School deciding that the term "girls" was no longer to be used in the school to avoid causing offence to teenagers querying their gender identity.

IrritatedUser1960 Sun 24-Sep-17 11:39:14

Sadly I find trans people rather violent, whether it's the hormones or what I don't know but they are the only ones who regularly attack me at work if they don't get their own way.

PerfectlyPooPoo Sun 24-Sep-17 11:45:49

I'm glad to read this OP, thank you.

It's a mad world we live in where this shit is going on. If you feel like a female then transition fully and then I'm OK with you sharing my space.

Until then you're a bloke pretending to be a woman for what could be shits and giggles for all I know.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 24-Sep-17 12:39:01

Attack you in what sense, IrritatedUser?

SisterMoonshine Sun 24-Sep-17 13:00:44

With this and Robert Webb's book at the moment, there's a real positive feeling that people are starting to see sense smile

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 24-Sep-17 19:17:50

I want to know more about who the group of 22 women are and where I can read their statement

Found it!

amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/24/violence-against-women-transgender-debate

ftw Mon 25-Sep-17 09:52:05

Anyone know anything about the new group mentioned? A woman's place?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 25-Sep-17 09:54:16

You can find it on Facebook but I believe they are making some kind of official statement today.

NoLoveofMine Mon 25-Sep-17 10:57:30

Upon reading this article yesterday my mum brought this issue up with me for the first time - I've talked to her a lot about it but always prompted by me. She was saying how ridiculous this group are and has been thinking a lot about how worrying the Gender Recognition Bill is. Encouraging as she was someone who'd previously have said she was supportive of the trans cause (if that's the right term), not realising the extent to which it's going and the potential ramifications. Hopefully there will be a lot of people now realising the dangers of this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now