Talk

Advanced search

Micro aggression

(9 Posts)
EdmundSlackbladder Fri 22-Sep-17 22:51:15

Researching for a friend for an art project on misogyny and microaggressions against women. Can I call on the wisdom of mumsnet and ask for some of the comments you've received/heard that have either given you anything from and 'eye twitch' moment to full on rage.

secular111 Sun 24-Sep-17 18:24:44

Well the theory of 'microaggressions' determines that virtually anything said or done can be interpreted as a 'microaggression'.

I have a colleague at work who pretty much lives her life on the assumption that all males are performing 'microaggressions' on her all-the-time. So for instance being able to type fast on a keyboard in her presence - microaggression; drinking black coffee - microaggression, and the one thing that really riles her - seeing a male reversing a car into a parking space next to her, when she's just parked herself. That drives her completely bonkers once-or-twice-a-week.

Recently I've started pointing out some aspect of male behavior to her, and without fail she's determined them all to be microaggressions.

I'm sure there's a serious element to all this, but it is funny!

PastysPrincess Sun 24-Sep-17 18:28:15

Being referred to by the incorrect job title at work with the addition of "girl" into my job title. They wrote it on email so they could have easily looked back on the email chain and found my correct title, or they could have just referred to me by name only.

Zoll Sun 24-Sep-17 18:32:10

Microaggressions are a bit silly, really; I reject them as a concept.

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Sun 24-Sep-17 18:34:31

It's bollocks. And the ones who believe in it usually advocate punching people when they don't like their views

yumchoc Sun 24-Sep-17 19:30:31

My Ex Gp asked me what my husband thought about my illness thought I was so proud of my husband he said too listen to my wife symptoms

I had a blood test results that had not been assessed by my then Gp for 10 months that said my b12 level was 49 normal level is about 500 I was sleeping 20 hours a day at this point he kept inferring I was depressed and had a mental health condition rather than checking my test results
It made me blood boil that because I am female I can't be logical about illness and it must be something wrong with my mind

EdmundSlackbladder Mon 25-Sep-17 09:07:15

secular111 That is really quite funny. Thanks patsy and yumchoc

EdmundSlackbladder Mon 25-Sep-17 09:09:09

Had a friend who opened the door to a charity canvasser who asked her if 'the man of the house' was in.
I am frequently asked if my male assistants are the manager.

KanyeWesticle Mon 25-Sep-17 10:21:33

Manspreading.

Hepeating.

Wolfwhistles.

Mechanics/workmen asking 'what does your husband think?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now