Talk

Advanced search

Cordelia Fine has won The Royal Society Insight Investment Science Book Prize

(29 Posts)
DJBaggySmalls Tue 19-Sep-17 20:24:21

Congratulations to Cordelia Fine!

''Cordelia Fine has won The Royal Society Insight Investment Science Book Prize, worth £25,000, for her “provocative” book about gender which “debunks” the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus concept and poses an “urgent call for change”.

www.thebookseller.com/news/fine-scoops-25k-royal-society-science-prize-cracking-critique-men-are-mars-women-are-venus

SomeDyke Tue 19-Sep-17 20:34:20

Excellent! "Testosterone Rex: Unmaking the Myths of Our Gendered Minds" is well worth the read, and hopefully this prize will keep this book out on the front table...........As well as providing Cordelia with some readies.

I'm so pleased, I really liked this book when I read it, and would encourage others to read it too. The fact that the Royal Society saw fit to award it a prize should (hopefully) help to fend off the inevitable 'she doesn't know the science' jibes from the traditionalists and TRAs.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 19-Sep-17 20:42:11

Oh brill! Well done to her.

doctorcuntybollocks Tue 19-Sep-17 21:17:52

'Delusions of Gender', also by Cordelia Fine, is £1.99 on Kindle.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 19-Sep-17 21:39:52

Her other book about the brain is very good too.
She is fab.

PricklyBall Tue 19-Sep-17 21:41:17

Excellent - well done Cordelia. (Loved Delusions of Gender, must read Testosterone Rex).

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 20-Sep-17 02:51:03

<claps> wildly.

Awesome work!

Do you think she's a MNer? I bet she is.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 20-Sep-17 02:54:10

Oh and @DJBaggySmalls I want my fucking towel back. grin

NoLoveofMine Wed 20-Sep-17 10:58:59

This is excellent (also I think she's the third woman in a row to win this award). I loved 'Delusions of Gender' so will definitely be reading this - scientific research which is badly needed at the moment I think...

DJBaggySmalls Wed 20-Sep-17 14:16:52

MrsTerryPratchett
Calculating - is that a Pratchett... grin

Trills Wed 20-Sep-17 14:19:40

www.the-pool.com/arts-culture/books/2017/35/katy-guest-meets-cordelia-fine-gender-bias-and-genetics

“This book is not politically correct; it is good science”, wrote Professor Agustin Fuentes, professor and chair, department of anthropology, University of Notre Dame

I liked this quote a lot.

"Political correctness" is just a phrase used for "something that I don't like because I prefer to hold onto my biases and prejudices".

CalmanOnSpeeddial Wed 20-Sep-17 14:25:06

Congratulations Dr Fine (or is she a Professor?).

Wikipedia has informed me of the remarkable fact that she's the daughter of Anne "Killer Cat" Fine. Who knew?

DJBaggySmalls Wed 20-Sep-17 14:27:38

Professor Brian Cox made some interesting comments;

''Cox, also the Royal Society’s professor for public engagement in science, added: “This year's prize goes to an exploration of gender and the scientific process more generally, and is considered by some to be provocative, although the very idea that a book about science as we currently understand it can be considered provocative tells me that there is something amiss in public discourse.”

I think he generally comes across as likeable and reasonable.

YetAnotherSpartacus Wed 20-Sep-17 14:38:02

Brian Cox ... ^swooooooon

And eh hem ... Congrats Cordelia!

JessicaEccles Wed 20-Sep-17 14:57:56

I am surprised nobody has called her a TERF yet or demanded the book be banned...

notafish Wed 20-Sep-17 15:48:11

That would also be Anne 'Bill's new frock' Fine.

Trills Wed 20-Sep-17 15:56:06

I just reread Delusions of Gender recently and in it she mentions that her mother is a novelist.

She's certainly very good at WRITING - science communication is very tricky.

53rdWay Wed 20-Sep-17 16:01:12

Delusions of Gender is fab. I can't wait to read this one!

Auldspinster Wed 20-Sep-17 23:18:34

I knew her a bit when we were kids, she was lovely then.

qumquat Thu 21-Sep-17 21:24:45

I've seen a few tweets from people I normally agree with taking issue with his book. They are saying it puts ideology over biology. I loved Delusions of Gender and can't imagine this is any less rigorous. Does anyone know what the fuss is about?

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 21-Sep-17 21:31:06

This review popped up when I googled your phrase about ideology over biology: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2017/09/21/testosterone-rex-a-biased-polemic-wins-the-royal-society-book-prize/amp/

Anlaf Thu 21-Sep-17 21:31:49

I also saw that, and wondered. Some seem to be claiming that it's all part of this 49 genders nonsense.

It's possible that they, like me, have not read the book. And are reacting to what they imagine the book to cover

E.g. This tweet thread has been retweeted by people I think are alright twitter.com/clairlemon/status/910450626395381760

Anlaf Thu 21-Sep-17 21:34:41

Primary failings seem to be her disagreeing with Simon male brains do systems female brains do cushion covers Baron Cohen and suggesting that intersectionality (in the original sense) should be included in analysis of behaviour

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Thu 21-Sep-17 21:43:31

I love the name Cordelia. Fav play

MsMartini Thu 21-Sep-17 21:57:51

One of the judges addresses Ritchie's critical review here samgilbert.net/testosterone.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now