Talk

Advanced search

Andy Murray shows again why he is a feminist ally

(23 Posts)
whoputthecatout Mon 18-Sep-17 10:48:01

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-41082938

Worth a read. It's not new that Andy supports females in sport of course but to go out of his way to voice his views is so positive.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 18-Sep-17 15:37:46

''Since then, I have been asked about women's equality and I would find it hard to look any of the top female tennis players in the eye if I did not speak my mind.''

Top man.

PlectrumElectrum Mon 18-Sep-17 17:00:45

It's a great article & I especially like this bit

'People often underestimate the amount of work that it takes to become a top tennis player. And that work ethic is the same whether you are a man or a woman.

There are hours spent in the gym, on court, in physio, travelling, analysing matches and opponents, talking with your team, managing your body, and of course, making plenty of sacrifices.

Anyone who has spent any time with any of the top women will know that they make those same sacrifices and are as determined and committed to winning as any of the top men on the tour.'

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Mon 18-Sep-17 19:34:20

Andy is the man.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 18-Sep-17 19:51:34

Him correcting the sexist tv reporters by reminding them that the Williams sisters exist are my favourite moments. He's done it at least twice now and on one of those occasions it was the press conference after being knocked out of Wimbledon this year - injured, tired, frustrated, and still fighting the good fight.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 18-Sep-17 19:55:26

The other time, he had to correct John Inverdale - no surprise that he forgot women are human beings too hmm

BenLui Mon 18-Sep-17 20:00:14

It's so lovely to be able to cheer for a sportsman who you can admire on and off the court.

DeleteOrDecay Mon 18-Sep-17 20:01:46

Nice one Andy.

LittleWitch Mon 18-Sep-17 20:02:15

Seems kind of right from a father of a little girl. I love Andy.

YesVeryGoodVeryStrong Tue 19-Sep-17 08:44:13

Great from Andy. And good to reference a range of sports as well, not just tennis.

Is there any male sportsperson, in any sport, who has ever talked about this kind of thing? Happy to be corrected on that.

TooDamnSarky Tue 19-Sep-17 08:49:54

Top bloke. But immensely irritating that these view are only seen as worth hearing because a man is talking.

Butterymuffin Tue 19-Sep-17 12:55:26

He is a top bloke. And it's particularly meaningful because you know he doesn't suck up to the media spotlight. So when he says these things, it's not to get attention but because he believes it's the right thing to do. Thank you Andy. Your daughters will be proud.

RustyParker Tue 19-Sep-17 13:08:16

I was pleased to read Andy using "sex" rather than "gender". Unfortunately it is a shame that it takes a male to say it for it to be heard but it's great that a top sportsman is speaking out and I wish more did.

IndianaBones Thu 28-Sep-17 17:28:20

"Top bloke. But immensely irritating that these view are only seen as worth hearing because a man is talking."

Being a 3 time grand slam champion and former world no 1 doesn't have anything to do with it? If Kyle Edmund had said it, do you think it would have made the main pages of BBC Sport? Jesus man what is wrong with you.

"Seems kind of right from a father of a little girl. I love Andy."

So if he was the father of a boy that would have been different or you would have thought differently?

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 28-Sep-17 20:26:14

"It's so lovely to be able to cheer for a sportsman who you can admire on and off the court."

^^ This

OlennasWimple Thu 28-Sep-17 20:45:50

Judy Murray should write a book on bringing up boys smile

buckeejit Thu 28-Sep-17 20:53:18

Good stuff-curious why you refer to him as a feminist ally rather than a feminist?

conserveisposhforjam Thu 28-Sep-17 21:00:09

* Being a 3 time grand slam champion and former world no 1 doesn't have anything to do with it? If Kyle Edmund had said it, do you think it would have made the main pages of BBC Sport? Jesus man what is wrong with you.*

Ummm I think the point was that it's a shame that people are more likely to listen when a man talks about anything - including feminism - than when a woman does and that that is a bit depressing.

Not a massively controversial opinion for the feminism board surely?

DJBaggySmalls Thu 28-Sep-17 21:02:56

buckeejit
Women are feminists, men are feminist allies. The distinction is made to stop people co-opting the movement.
Its like how white people can support black people as allies, but not be part of their movement.

buckeejit Thu 28-Sep-17 21:55:14

It seems different to me, the definition of a feminist I thought was someone who wants equality between the sexes? It feels a bit sad that there seems to be a need to push 'them' to the side as being less involved in the progress of feminism.

OlennasWimple Thu 28-Sep-17 22:10:45

buckeejit - not all feminists believe that men can only be allies rather than feminists smile

buckeejit Thu 28-Sep-17 22:12:59

Thanks olennas, I don't think I would feel comfortable calling someone a feminist ally so I'll just shift my virtual chair over to that side of the party 😁

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Thu 28-Sep-17 22:38:27

Yes, I'm not really on board with "feminist ally" either. Murray defines himself as a feminist, after all, so in this new age of it being all about what one identifies oneself as, I have to respect that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now