Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DVLA titles for men and women

(36 Posts)
Sayhellotothemoomoos Thu 17-Aug-17 19:28:31

I'm just wondering if anyone realised that this was a thing.

DVLA don't use titles for men unless requested, however they do for women.

I realised this when sending for my new licence. I've married since my previous licence was issued, however I haven't changed my name.

I was Miss Moomoos, since getting married I've started using the neutral Ms Moomoos in everyday life. I wanted to change from Miss to Ms really on my licence but as I needed it back quickly, I didn't want to complicate anything so I just left it as it was. I'm moving house soon so just thought I'd update it then.

Anyway after googling how to change your title through DVLA, I realised this was a thing. Dh doesn't have Mr on his, they don't put titles on men's licences only women's.

Wtaf?

BlessedBeTheFruit Fri 18-Aug-17 00:06:55

Very 'wtf?'
Can't think why it's necessary for women and not for men.

MollyHuaCha Fri 18-Aug-17 00:08:45

I'm not sure any title is needed for anyone at all?

moutonfou Fri 18-Aug-17 00:17:07

That does seem weird. I think titles are so outdated. Don't think I've called somebody "Mrs Blah" or "Mr Blah" since I had teachers at school. Seems to only be used for companies to write letters.

Datun Fri 18-Aug-17 00:25:30

It's probably because the default for men is always Mr. You can't get it wrong.

Whereas there's no default for women, unless you use Ms. As, unfortunately, many people think that is a statement of 'feminazi' status, they probably think it's best to specify Miss or Mrs (or Ms if requested).

SleightOfHand Fri 18-Aug-17 00:32:51

Very old fashioned having any title these days, what the heck is wrong with a persons first and last name.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 18-Aug-17 07:47:08

Whereas there's no default for women, unless you use Ms. As, unfortunately, many people think that is a statement of 'feminazi' status, they probably think it's best to specify Miss or Mrs (or Ms if requested)

Goodness knows why a driving licence needs a title at all. As for Ms not being the default, I don't think it would suit all the "Mrs" who seem to think "Mrs" actually is a status symbol.

Much as I hate "Mrs" I suppose if all women over 18 used it , it would be the equivalent of Mr.

LaurelHolly Fri 18-Aug-17 08:22:38

I got married but didn't change my name. I try to use Ms. but so many companies (and friends and family!) just put what they like and often seem to ignore Ms angry so I'm Miss, Ms or Mrs Myname on lots of different accounts etc.

Does this matter on any sort of legal or official level? I presumed it didn't but the OP is updating her driving licence just for the Ms. I never bothered because it costs money.

Mightily resent having to give this nonsense any sort of head space.

Datun Fri 18-Aug-17 08:29:16

LaurelHolly

Of all the combinations to use, I should imagine Mrs, and your maiden name, is the worst!

Almost as if they are damn well going to give you an unasked for 'status' whether you like it or not!

sashh Fri 18-Aug-17 08:33:11

I dropped the title on mine, if a man doesn't need one nor do I.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 18-Aug-17 09:08:40

Does this matter on any sort of legal or official level? I presumed it didn't but the OP is updating her driving licence just for the Ms. I never bothered because it costs money

No legal significance whatsoever. I don't see the point of changing from Miss to Ms just because you have got married. It is no better in its way than changing it to Mrs. The fact you are now married is completely irrelevant to the DVLA so why bother?

I don't assume that Miss does mean some one isn't married I know plenty of married "Misses". I use Miss and Ms.

Datun Fri 18-Aug-17 09:12:39

I don't assume that Miss does mean some one isn't married I know plenty of married "Misses". I use Miss and Ms.

Do you think that's because of your profession? Doctors, lawyers, teachers, it seems to be common.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 18-Aug-17 09:55:44

Yes , probably. I am still disappointed when someone changes to Mrs but I would be very surprised if someone changed from Miss to Ms.

KatharinaRosalie Fri 18-Aug-17 10:03:25

Why is it even necessary? I have my licence from another European country and there's not a word about my marital status there (i.e no titles, just name)

NoLoveofMine Fri 18-Aug-17 10:18:33

I intend to be "Ms" everywhere once I'm 18 though am braced for this being somewhat of a challenge (ridiculous though that is especially as my brothers are both already "Mr" on any correspondence they might receive other than from our grandfather who uses "Master" for them). My mum is "Mrs" which I can't deny I find quite a shame.

Sayhellotothemoomoos Fri 18-Aug-17 11:01:42

Lasswithtgedelicateair I haven't really intentionally changed to Ms because I've got married. It's more that I'd never given surnames and titles much thought until I married, and the question of name changing came up.

Ms just seems neutral and more adult female.

NoLoveofMine Fri 18-Aug-17 11:04:14

I can't personally see why there should be any titles other than "Ms" and "Mr" for adults. Seeing as men (and even boys) are always "Mr" there's no reason women shouldn't be "Ms". Even regardless of potential name changing by either partner upon marriage there's no need for other titles (obviously I don't mean to include "Dr" etc).

LaurelHolly Fri 18-Aug-17 12:28:07

Yes Datun I ended up as Mrs. Myname at an old job because apparently they didn't have a Ms option (2011 btw) I was asked in hushed, sympathetic tones if I was divorced and when I said that I was married they said it had to be Mrs. I had the same on a couple of CRB checks...no Ms available but I hope that's all changed now.

I am divorced now so no idea what effect that would have on the above conversation. I just prefer Wing Commander Holly now.

It really is ridiculous.

NoLoveofMine Fri 18-Aug-17 13:12:16

when I said that I was married they said it had to be Mrs.

That is ridiculous Wing Commander. I would hope "Ms" is freely available now but having heard the difficulty many have had changing their title to "Ms" with their banks and so forth I fear it isn't (not to mention how many banks insist on "Mrs" if women marry).

Sayhellotothemoomoos Fri 18-Aug-17 14:59:48

I've had problems using Ms. People just don't seem to understand it.

I know people would say does it really matter, but then does it really matter the other way? Why the need for titles that reflect marital status in this day and age. Surely it just complicates matters.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 18-Aug-17 16:12:00

I have recently been gobsmacked by an acquaintance, an academic who got married in her late 40s.

She and her partner have been together since her mid 20s. She has been Ms HerName, Dr HerName, Professor HerName and is now Professor HisName.

The double gobsmack is her husband is also Professor HisName in the same university department

Why? HerName was a perfectly nice name.

NoLoveofMine Fri 18-Aug-17 16:26:59

It's a persistent example of normalised sexism in society in my opinion. My name is mine and always will be. I can't see why it should be a given my brothers' surnames will always be the same but isn't with mine, simply due to my sex. It seems a woman's name/identity is never really deemed to be hers.

SleightOfHand Fri 18-Aug-17 16:33:44

My response will be "is a title necessary?", no, ",that's great", or yes, "M S then". It'll sink in eventually, lets just all keep plodding on.

ButtHoleinOne Fri 18-Aug-17 18:18:10

iintend to be "Ms" everywhere once I'm 18 though

Why are you waiting until you're 18?? I've been Ms since I was 14 at least.

NoLoveofMine Fri 18-Aug-17 21:42:03

I was under the impression "Miss" was the correct title until an adult but would like to change to "Ms" - I suppose I should get to work doing so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now