Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm not happy as a woman posting online anymore. My voice is silenced.

(30 Posts)
Elendon Thu 06-Jul-17 19:21:01

I can't be doing with it. Lately I've been seeing and posting on posts that then end up on my online defender telling me that I need to clean everything out, including my money.

I think there is an insidious attack on women going on on Mumsnet.

Datun Thu 06-Jul-17 19:39:05

What does that mean? I don't know what an online defender is.

Can you say more Elendon?

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 06-Jul-17 19:57:47

Can you say a bit more Elendon, I'm also not sure what you mean by your online defender? What money do you mean?

VestalVirgin Thu 06-Jul-17 19:59:39

I can relate to feeling silenced, and yes, I do think that women's voices are being censored on mumsnet, but the bit about the money makes no sense to me.

Can you elaborate?

gamerchick Thu 06-Jul-17 20:01:30

Your device is treating mumsnet like a virus?

LottieDoubtie Thu 06-Jul-17 20:05:01

Op I'm confused by what you're getting at.

Worrying that people think women's voices are being silenced on MN (though I would tend to agree on many other sites), why do you think that?

Temporaryanonymity Thu 06-Jul-17 20:07:24

What do you mean? I don't feel silenced, but then I stay off the contraversial topics so maybe i am.

Gemini69 Thu 06-Jul-17 20:12:35

I'm confused..

but please speak freely ... x

VestalVirgin Thu 06-Jul-17 20:30:37

Come on, tell us. This is so mysterious, I now absolutely need to know!

Datun Thu 06-Jul-17 20:33:56

Women ARE being silenced. Frighteningly so.

Elendon. Are you worried about posting on mumsnet?

AyeAmarok Thu 06-Jul-17 20:35:52

Women's voices are being silenced, that I agree with.

But I don't understand what you mean about clearing out the defender and money?

Datun Thu 06-Jul-17 20:37:20

Me neither. But as Elendon has started a thread, I am hoping she can continue.

Umpteenthnamechange Thu 06-Jul-17 21:27:14

What's the matter OP?

Elendon Thu 06-Jul-17 22:21:32

Every time I log in and write I get a virus warning. Perhaps it's just me. I've never had this before and I do tend to be on posts that are for women's rights, across the board on AIBU, Relationships, TV, Chat.

Then I get a virus warning on my internet defender - Bit And it always goes to a bigger script too, and I've no control over the cursor to get out.

I just have a gut feeling about this. And some posts, not this one, as I've been looking, automatically come up with a poster unknown. I don't troll hunt at all and watch threads carefully.

Anyway, felt terribly spooked by it all this evening and I don't go on anywhere else to chat and post. I love reading mumsnet and there are some fantastic posters on here who give excellent advice and others who contribute great debate. I will continue to read and give it a while before I post again.

Be careful.

QuentinSummers Thu 06-Jul-17 22:25:15

Are you on a phone elendon? Can you factory reset it and then try again? Try not to worry about it though. Hope you are OK x

VestalVirgin Thu 06-Jul-17 22:27:42

Ah, thanks.
But you didn't mention the money? Does the virus warning recommend to get your money out of a bank account that's accessible online?

Hm, I have had misogynist users appear just to post abusive comments on my thread and ask mumsnet to delete the thread, I do think it is possible some MRAs programmed something to watch us and alert them when certain words popped up.

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 06-Jul-17 22:29:47

What does a poster appearing as "poster unknown" mean? I don't think I've ever seen that on here?

SilverdaleGlen Thu 06-Jul-17 22:30:52

I don't know about the virus thing probably just malware on your computer?

I do feel silenced though, I need support but can't post as I don't want to end up as fodder for the press. It's so sad that something that saw me through some of my hardest years cannot be there for me now sad

Our stories are not entertainment!

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 06-Jul-17 22:34:02

What antivirus do you have, do you know if it updates its definitions automatically and have you run a virus scan recently?

QuentinSummers Thu 06-Jul-17 22:36:13

Silverdale I think you are safe here. The press don't like feminists! Or post in the pub and we can help

SilverdaleGlen Thu 06-Jul-17 22:37:58

What's the pub?

QuentinSummers Thu 06-Jul-17 22:41:19

Feminist pub post, I will bump for you. It's just a long standing thread where we chat shit. Been v quiet recently though

FlaviaAlbia Thu 06-Jul-17 22:42:29

Elendon can you screenshot it? There was a problem with dodgy ads before and it could be that.

In the meantime, run a virus scan on your device and clear your cookies to reset any targeted ads.

Are you feeling OK besides this?

PenguinOfDoom Thu 06-Jul-17 22:44:11

This sounds like a tech issue. I think you're over-reacting somewhat to suggest that you are being blocked from speaking as a woman or that someone is monitoring you.

Elendon Thu 06-Jul-17 22:44:25

Just been on Facebook to catch up with my family and got several messages from friends (some of whom I'm seeing tomorrow night) who have been spooked by malware - bogus friend requests. So, I'm guessing it's a coincidence re Mumsnet, which is as secure as Facebook. I had to change my email address once because of malware.

I hope it's a coincidence. Anyway, I'm turning off the computer now and going to bed. Just felt terribly spooked by it all. Especially, with my meagre funds in the bank that I need. I've not had any warnings during these last two postings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now