Talk

Advanced search

Female only music festival in Sweden

(9 Posts)
Skutterfly Wed 05-Jul-17 15:32:33

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/sweden-music-festival-men-female-only-bravalla-rape-sexual-assault-emma-knyckare-a7824366.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Female only until men learn to behave themselves grin

NoLoveofMine Wed 05-Jul-17 15:44:56

I was thinking this sounded like my kind of festival until I saw "only non-men are welcome" (which I fear isn't a joke). The same issue with the space at Glastonbury for "people who self-identify as women".

The premise is good though, not penalising women and girls for crimes perpetuated against us. On the subject of sexual harassment and assault at gigs, this is a fantastic group of girls who have been fighting it here for a little while now (though again there are some similar issues): girlsagainst.tumblr.com/faq

VestalVirgin Wed 05-Jul-17 21:48:34

I heard a festival had been cancelled in Sweden because too many men raped, was it this one?

I expect the "identified non-men" shit will be dropped once it turns out that, surprise, males who identify as whatever still rape.
(I hope women dare to report the rapes perpetrated by trans-identifed males.)

pisacake Mon 16-Oct-17 00:02:44

The female only festival is happening, but they've only excluded 'cis men'. '

www.facebook.com/statementfestival/posts/1917062535199331
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1907248694/statement-festival

So this means:

women - allowed
transwomen - allowed
transmen - allowed
non-binary - allowed

It is not clear to me why they are allowing transwomen and 'non-binary', as there is no reason to believe that transwomen are less of a risk to women than any other members of the male sex.

Any man can identify their way into the festival.

WiseDad Mon 16-Oct-17 00:05:25

Funny but the Swedes never had a problem with northern men and southern looking men appear to be behind the epidemic of sexual assaults. Maybe a good idea to not jump to conclusions here too quickly, after all no one previously thought it necessary as Sweden was a relatively low crime country.

Datun Mon 16-Oct-17 09:09:01

The comments under that article are appalling. So many men furious that women are holding a (more or less) man free festival.

All the usual MRA nonsense being trotted out. Along with the fervent hope that all the roadies, technicians, will also be women, because if they are men, that’s not fair. Women, you must not be given any help at all, unless you also take on the risk of rape.

Bloody hell, men get so fucking angry when women exclude them.

BriechonCheese Mon 16-Oct-17 15:43:45

But it won't be female only, will it?
Because no one actually has a clue what female is anymore.

isthistoonosy Mon 16-Oct-17 15:49:01

I thought in Sweden if you don't want to identfy as the gender typically associated with your sex you became a third gender. Are these third gender people allowed to attend?

pisacake Mon 16-Oct-17 16:17:53

Everyone except cis men, so yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now