Advanced search

Germaine Greer

(20 Posts)
CoolJazz Thu 29-Jun-17 22:55:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlternativeTentacle Thu 29-Jun-17 22:57:02

She is ace. I wish I had gone now.

iismum Thu 29-Jun-17 22:57:13

I'm so envious! I had tickets to see her in Preston and then couldn't go because of a babysitting emergency. I was so disappointed.

RiverTam Thu 29-Jun-17 22:58:26

Oh, that sounds great. Is she speaking in London at all? Would love to see her!

TitaniasCloset Thu 29-Jun-17 22:59:04

I really love this woman. I hope they put the talk up on YouTube.

CoolJazz Thu 29-Jun-17 22:59:47

PacificDogwod Thu 29-Jun-17 23:02:13

All good points, well made.
I would love to see her speak live.

ILoveDolly Thu 29-Jun-17 23:04:25

She is never not excellently frank. Sadly, she is also looked down on a lot now due to her views on transgender. There was a transwoman at her Cambridge college and she was highly criticised at the time for 'outing' that person. But she is a champion of safe spaces for WOMEN iyswim

CoolJazz Thu 29-Jun-17 23:09:04

PlymouthMaid1 Thu 29-Jun-17 23:14:48

I saw her speak in Brixham a couple of weeks ago. Excellent . I wanted somebody to ask about transfolk (not brave enough myself) but we got questions about Monsanto etc and didn't stray from the ecology brief.

QuentinSummers Thu 29-Jun-17 23:34:20

I saw her in Frome on Sunday. I want to buy a field and turn it into a nature reserve now! I found what she didn't say more interesting than what she did say. She was amazing. I was only frustrated by her claiming to not really know about biology when she clearly knows a lot. Brava Germaine!

phoolani Thu 29-Jun-17 23:40:24

I've always loved her. Not perfect - she went slightly odd with The Whole Woman - but she sticks to her guns.

CoolJazz Thu 29-Jun-17 23:42:50

SindyFishtail Thu 29-Jun-17 23:47:08

Thank you so much for sharing your notes OP! Really positive thoughts to fall asleep on now (mn'ing in bed now before I turn alarm clock on and switch off). Especially the last point about loving your little patch of nature. How simple and fulfilling.

Sounds like a really great evening. Lucky you.

CoolJazz Fri 30-Jun-17 16:10:36

DJBaggySmalls Fri 30-Jun-17 16:15:10

She sounds amazing, I wish I could listen online to some of these events sad

tiredofchallenge Fri 30-Jun-17 16:55:32

I was there! I have to admit I was expecting more of a feminist angle on ecology/environment but still enjoyed hearing her talk. It was only afterwards I realised how refreshing it was that she neither dumbed down the science for the audience, nor was apologetic in any way for being so knowledgable and articulate about it. I will be aiming to have that attitude!

I loved her energy and passion in response to the feminist questions that were asked - even though I thought she was trying to stay closer to the environmental topics, her commitment to women's issues just came through!

I've been thinking about the opposing positions of co-operation vs competition (i.e.evolution through organisms working together, rather than the accepted 'survival of the fittest' approach'). It struck me as very appropriate in terms of Brexit, and how we seem to be approaching it in such a combative way, and with a winner/loser mentality, but no consideration of collaboration and the possibility of win/win (or at least not lose/lose).

(I'm fighting the impulse to add 'in my opinion' or 'I'm probably wrong' though' to the end of that! Must resist and channel my inner Germaine....)

Elendon Fri 30-Jun-17 20:12:54

She is brilliant and I just want to showcase her earlier work Town Bloody Hall and her speech in it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6urEHqtDSQ

Elendon Fri 30-Jun-17 20:26:22

This is one of her latest interviews.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1WFOoOGKaU

I would so love to see and listen to her talk. She has always interested me (and sorry, but she did change my view on life, but in a good way).

bumblingbovine49 Fri 30-Jun-17 20:32:29

I saw her speak years ago (about 20 years ago) and she was writing and talking about transgender then. I remember she was just starting to talk about how difficult it was to become the "invisible' middle aged woman.

I also remember thinking she felt that because she was so stunning when younger and that I wouldn't have that problem when I got older as I was not particularly beautiful even then . I was right about that as I really don't at struggle with the the middle aged invisible thing now (,in my 50s). I actually love it.

She was very good though I remember being very impressed with her. I had read most of her books at the time but she still seemed fresh and interesting in her talk.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: