Talk

Advanced search

Canada: Bill C-16 Gender Identity and Expression Bill Passes in Parliament

(17 Posts)
Terfing Sat 17-Jun-17 01:13:35

time.com/4821022/justin-trudeau-canada-discrimination-gender/

Bill C-16 was adopted with a 67 to 11 vote, reports Canadian broadcaster CTV News, amending the country's Human Rights Act to add "gender identity and gender expression" to the list of federally prohibited grounds for discrimination.

I guess Canada doesn't understand the difference between sex and gender.

TitaniasCloset Sat 17-Jun-17 01:39:41

I have come to believe that the world is probably going to end soon or maybe the anti Christ is coming. I just cannot believe that people are this stupid. Feminism has now been pushed backwards. Only some terrible evil ruling the world can really explain the direction we are headed. And everyone just sits quietly and accepts it, except for a few fundamentalists and rad FEMS.

caroldecker Sat 17-Jun-17 02:03:32

All this appears to change is adding gender choice to human rights and increasing sentences where gender choice is considered relevant to the crime.
Basically, you cannot refuse to employ a man wearing a dress and if you beat up a man wearing a dress, you get a longer spell in prison.

CaoNiMartacus Sat 17-Jun-17 06:52:53

If this happens in the UK, I am going to declare myself male and apply to every single male-only organisation I can find.

DJBaggySmalls Sat 17-Jun-17 09:50:38

It means a bit more than just protecting one groups human rights, single sex services are now in many cases, illegal. That means women and children have lost the right to privacy.

VestalVirgin Sat 17-Jun-17 11:54:38

CaoNi, they already made sure the daughters of peers can't inherit estates and titles by changing gender, so I am sure they'll find a way to prevent you from joining. But do try! (If all mumsnetters did this, the UK could become famous as the country that has even fewer women than China ...)

I have come to believe that the world is probably going to end soon or maybe the anti Christ is coming.'

He has come, he's called Donald Trump.

(I wonder if that is his true name? Perhaps I should draw a pentagram on the floor, find some instructions to make sure the summoned hellish entity can't escape, and give it a try ...)

TitaniasCloset Sat 17-Jun-17 13:40:50

Yes, good plan. You will also need candles. Lots of candles. No idea why but they seem to be important for this type of thing.

Why are women just not getting this? Why are we not marching, organising, talking about this other places than mumsnet? Why dies noone pay attention when I tweet or fb about this? I despair I really do. Once our rights and privacy has gone people will complain once it affects them directly. Right now women seem to think this has nothing to do with them and their children.

TitaniasCloset Sat 17-Jun-17 13:41:30

Does not dies.

HappyCamperZZZ Sat 17-Jun-17 20:41:16

I genuinely think most women do not have a clue about any of this. I have raised it with a handful of women I know, and they had been utterly oblivious to it. To be fair, I am only aware through stumbling across trans threads on Mumsnet. Then was concerned enough to join a few Feminist pages on Facebook and follow some excellent Twitter accounts now too.
However this information is not out there in the general mainstream media. There is a hush of silence (IMO) . If Maria Millers bill goes through Parliament it'll be here too.
My place of work already have a trans policy that states any worker can use the facilities of their chosen gender. No consultation with any of the staff about this policy that I am aware of. If I were to encounter a man in the womens toilets at work on Monday I wouldn't be able to do a thing about it as its 'Company Policy'

Terfing Sat 17-Jun-17 21:01:07

Sadly, I think something big (and tragic) will have to happen to get people talking about this issue. sad

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 17-Jun-17 21:22:59

they already made sure the daughters of peers can't inherit estates and titles by changing gender This makes me grind my teeth with rage. The one thing that would actually make the world a better place and benefit women; off the table from the start. Fuckers.

And the Canadian Bill gets more irritating. Because federally they do something and then the provinces interpret it. BC has sex and gender as protected characteristics, which I have less argument with. Alberta JUST has gender.

When I asked a few SJW types about this, "well surely that means firing someone for being pregnant isn't covered because that is a sex-based issue" they looked bemused. Like who could possibly think this would happen. confused

VestalVirgin Sat 17-Jun-17 21:27:09

Sadly, I think something big (and tragic) will have to happen to get people talking about this issue.

Wasn't there already a case of a man who was transferred to the women's prison because of "gender identity" and then raped a couple of inmates?
(Could have been something different from a prison, a psychatric ward? I read about it a while ago. Clearly, no one cares.)

Women having their jaws broken by male boxers being allowed to beat them up under the pretense of "sport", no one cares.

Male criminals escaping the police because police doesn't dare inform the population that the criminal is a man, because "gender identity", no one cares.

I don't think a woman being beaten up or raped is tragic enough for the press to even report it at a larger scale. Much less anyone doing anything about it.
There has even been a man who was stabbed by a male trans for telling the trans he ought to compete with fellow males. People still don't talk, and that was a man!

Perhaps if a male in a women's prison rapes and murders in a particularly horrible way the male baby of a female inmate some people will start to rethink their decisions.

(Not sure a female baby would be important enough. Adults clearly aren't ...)

Terfing Sat 17-Jun-17 22:27:29

This May sound silly, but I was kind of hoping that the recent Kardashian's tv series would help a lot of women reach peak trans. It showed the negative effects of CJ's transition and highlighted how hypocritical she was being too.

The problem is, because so many are afraid to say what they really think over this issue, we don't know what the majority want! sad

venusinscorpio Sun 18-Jun-17 19:13:17

If this happens in the UK, I am going to declare myself male and apply to every single male-only organisation I can find.

Me too.

venusinscorpio Sun 18-Jun-17 19:15:12

they already made sure the daughters of peers can't inherit estates and titles by changing gender

Surely that wouldn't fly under a similar law to the one in Canada?

shinynewusername Sun 18-Jun-17 20:35:43

Wasn't there already a case of a man who was transferred to the women's prison because of "gender identity" and then raped a couple of inmates?

Yes, in Australia though the assaults were allegations rather than proven because the government had much to lose from allowing them to be proven. Obviously no one gives a fuck about the safety of women prisoners when the menz feelings are at stake hmm

shinynewusername Sun 18-Jun-17 20:41:41

Surely that wouldn't fly under a similar law to the one in Canada?

Not necessarily. Very few laws redefine terms in all circumstances. The reach of the act, including any redefinitions of terminology, is usually confined to the subject of the act itself. For example, "next of kin" has no particular legal meaning or standing in most contexts in England & Wales, but does have a specific meaning and confer rights under the Mental Health Act. The passing of the MHA, didn't give next of kin any rights in other contexts.

So parliament could give rights to men/MTT under a Canadian-style gender act but still deprive the daughters of peers of the right to inherit through gender reassignment.

The contradiction might make it easier for a FTT to challenge under human rights law, but it wouldn't guarantee that the challenge succeeded.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: