Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Supreme Court upholds NI NHS abortion ban

(13 Posts)
HaruNoSakura Wed 14-Jun-17 15:13:45

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nhs-funded-abortion-ban-uk-supreme-court-northern-ireland-assembly-tory-dup-deal-democratic-a7789251.html

Does so citing the government’s 'respect' for Northern Ireland Assembly, which tells me everything I need to know about the Tories position on banning abortion.

slug Wed 14-Jun-17 16:26:48

Respect for the NI Assembly but no respect for women's rights hmm

ThymeLord Wed 14-Jun-17 19:05:35

I saw this earlier today. I say it all the time but we are going backwards, not forwards.

FurryGiraffe Wed 14-Jun-17 21:10:02

It's worth noting that it was a 3:2 split. The two minority justices were Lady Hale (the only woman on the Supreme Court) and Lord Kerr (the only Northern Ireland justice on the SC). So the two people with the best understanding of the issues got outvoted by 3 English/Scottish men...Never has there been a starker case for the need for more women on the UKSC.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 14-Jun-17 23:09:50

Very interesting about the NI judge

Sad that NI women lack such an important right over their bodies that rUK women have had since 1968
Even though they pay the same rate of tax to fund the NHS

DJBaggySmalls Wed 14-Jun-17 23:47:50

This is life for women in Ireland.

''Girl who asked for abortion locked up in mental hospital''
www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/girl-who-asked-for-abortion-locked-up-in-mental-hospital-c6xfvcw85

Thats one way for medical staff to prevent someone from accessing an abortion.

Xenophile Thu 15-Jun-17 08:41:58

Remind me again why we still need feminism?

PoochSmooch Thu 15-Jun-17 11:56:57

Remind me again why we still need feminism?

Haven't you heard, we're all post feminist now? I mean, it's not like there are areas of the UK where women still don't have bodily autonomy...oh, wait...

Yeah. Back in the dungarees, sisters, we still have work to do. I am sensing that I am going to be dusting off my "I can't believe I still have to protest this shit" placard and getting out my demonstrating shoes pretty soon.

BigDeskBob Thu 15-Jun-17 14:05:38

I can't add anything new to the thread, but I'm speechless that in 2017, there are women (and, unfortunately, girls) in the UK that haven't access to free, safe terminations of pregnancy.

user1496321962 Thu 15-Jun-17 14:24:34

Seems like we are moving backwards..

ThymeLord Thu 15-Jun-17 16:11:49

Indeed user. I really do wonder what it is going to take for more people to wake up and see what is going on.

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Thu 15-Jun-17 16:33:23

The worse of it was that the woman who brought the case had already bloody travelled to Manchester but then was told she'd have to pay costs as it wasn't covered by NI NHS.

To me that's the equivalent of saying well you're a second class citizen in NI but in the UK you're actually a third class citizen because you're not as important as British women either.

BigDeskBob Thu 15-Jun-17 17:48:12

It isn't even financial driven. There's fewer than 750 women travelling to England every year, that's not going to be a large bill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now