Talk

Advanced search

The handmaids tale

(5 Posts)
Paddingtonbearscoat Mon 29-May-17 15:58:05

I'm only 10 minute into watching. I've avoided the book because I didn't really get it from a feminist POV.

Watching this is truly awful, horrific, the realisation that these things are happening in our world every day.

Fgm, abortion being illegal, women being stoned to death because they've been raped girls being shot for going to school and so much more.

Why are women and men in this country so blasé about our very basic human rights.

It's scary that as women we've come so far in a short number of years yet there are people who feel women are getting too big for their boots and would seemingly give it all up in an instant, yet there still so much further to go.

ThymeLord Mon 29-May-17 16:25:07

I've just watched episode 1 this morning. I felt the same as you, that it's scary and incredibly infuriating that we are so close to this being reality. I feel like we are going steadily backwards in terms of women's rights.

Katnisnevergreen Mon 29-May-17 20:39:56

First episode was excellent, but I wish they would choose a less obvious book to adapt.
It's a wonderful book but so overdone compared to her other books, and is a bit cliched in terms of feminist literature

ChocChocPorridge Tue 30-May-17 10:51:52

You're right - I've read some really good stuff recommended on here that I think would make lovely movies (yes, I'm plugging Elizabeth Moon - Remnant Population again - it's one of the best books I've read in the last few years)

I think it was done a bit heavy handedly, and maybe a bit rushed - I don't know where they're planning to take it and how far off piste they'll go.

Thelilywhite Tue 30-May-17 14:43:45

Really enjoying it - though enjoying probably not the right word...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now