Talk

Advanced search

Period emoji - Question

(40 Posts)
Thisisouting Sat 27-May-17 23:59:57

OK genuine question because I don't understand and would like to not being goady or owt

Maxine Walters Tweeted that she was disappointed that the period emojis didn't represent black women

Can someone explain how they don't because I'm at a loss at what she means but the it's been retweeted several times and several people replied agreeing I just don't understand?

Anyone able to enlighten me?

https://plan-uk.org/act-for-girls/break-the-taboo-vote-for-your-favourite-period-emoji?utm_campaign=period&utm_medium=organicsocial&utm_source=fb_infographic&utm_content=WFRE17I01Z

Link to campaign

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 28-May-17 02:00:56

I'd be interested to know too. Uteri and towels, the two I've seen, don't seem race-specific.

Hamsolo Sun 28-May-17 02:45:22

I want to know now too. Assume I'm missing something - but what?

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 28-May-17 02:52:03

Google images doesn't help either - I can't see how a pair of knickers with a friendly little drop of blood is racist. Is it because the knix are white? Light red blood?

PhoenixJasmine Sun 28-May-17 03:05:59

I'd not seen this but think it's a great campaign - personally probably wouldn't use period emojis but what a fab idea for normalising menstruation and combatting period stigma amongst young girls and across nations.

I agree I am a bit bewildered as to how what you've linked to in that article 'doesn't represent black women' though? No particular skin tone is depicted? And Plan are an organisation that work for women & girls globally, the story about why this is an important campaign in that link features a black girl.

Not helpful people saying you just don't understand - clearly you would really like to understand!

PhoenixJasmine Sun 28-May-17 03:23:02

Am I being really dim, but how do you 'vote' for these proposed new emojis? The button on that Plan link that says 'vote' just takes me round in circles back to the same page

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 28-May-17 04:27:41

To vote you just click on the emoji that you like and it asks for your details.

Thisisouting Sun 28-May-17 10:41:22

It's a great campaign isn't it!

YetAnotherSpartacus Sun 28-May-17 11:00:57

odd... most of the pictures were of women of African descent. I wondered if this was what she was thinking of?

ChocChocPorridge Sun 28-May-17 11:27:34

I can only seem to see comedy accounts - do you have a link to the tweet?

Thisisouting Sun 28-May-17 11:42:40

I'm not sure how to do that?

Thisisouting Sun 28-May-17 11:43:56

twitter.com/OMFGNN/status/868219369624674304

Does that work?

Laurapalmer90 Sun 28-May-17 11:57:23

I think it's a fantastic campaign too.

Someone in a facebook group suggested voting for the uterus and ovaries emoji to show that is what periods are really about and that is who has them. WOMEN have periods and female anatomy is hated, they are not gender-neural. And I personally think a uterus emoji would be very cool so I voted for that. I think the uterus one is the most original, all the others are not that unusual.

OP, as for your question, I don't know either how they don't represent black women.

noblegiraffe Sun 28-May-17 11:57:58

Depressingly I can see this being used as shorthand by men for 'time of the month, eh?' To women who have been slightly assertive.

ChocChocPorridge Sun 28-May-17 12:20:39

Are you sure that's not a comedy account - only this just doesn't sound like something a serious person would say:

I want to thank @SpeakerRyan for cosponsoring my bill which will allow EBT cards to be used for online gambling during #nbaplayoffs

EBT being state welfare....

ChocChocPorridge Sun 28-May-17 12:25:09

Yeah, that's a parody account:

twitter.com/OMFGNN/status/866092368382091264

Also, now I look OMFGNN is unlikely to be someone serious.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 28-May-17 12:26:47

confused

So emojis will normalise "periods", even though we ourselves won't normalise menstruation as we're still referring to is a "period". Iyswim.

Can we not just encourage people to use the correct words instead of hiding them behind euphemisms and cutesy emojis?

Urglewurgle Sun 28-May-17 12:32:42

It's a parody account and says so in the bio. The real one is @MaxineWaters

dudsville Sun 28-May-17 12:36:17

This got me wondering whether I'd want a period emoji... and then thinking about how we don't have stomach upset emojis... and then I wondered, is that the purpose of that weird little poo emoji? (sorry if I'm derailing)

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sun 28-May-17 12:40:31

What noun should we use instead of period then? confused

Thisisouting Sun 28-May-17 12:41:34

Oh that explains it! I thought it was weird!
That will teach me to check the bio, I struggle a bit on Twitter telling the difference confused

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 28-May-17 12:47:23

Probably use menstruation, menstruating and menses? Depending on what exactly it is we're talking about?

Or carry on as we are, but realise that what you appear to be promoting as correct and normalisation actually isn't.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 28-May-17 12:48:35

(Sorry - that's a generic you, not you personally.)

YetAnotherSpartacus Sun 28-May-17 12:49:27

Can we not just encourage people to use the correct words instead of hiding them behind euphemisms and cutesy emojis

What is the correct noun? I am having a ??? Wasn't it menstrual period?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 28-May-17 12:50:29

I am menstruating?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now