Talk

Advanced search

Another mess for the WEP

(12 Posts)
patodp Thu 18-May-17 09:02:19

This WEP candidate is more interested in unseating a female Labour MP and criticising Labour than standing against a male MP. She's closely connected to the Tories, who's endless cuts disproportionately harm women.

They need to know which side their Bread is buttered if they're going to get anywhere.

I'd like to see the WEP do well I really would but they can't get it right.

patodp Thu 18-May-17 09:02:56

www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/bizarre-row-erupts-in-north-london-election-race-as-womens-equality-candidate-labelled-antifeminist-a3540086.html

Xenophile Thu 18-May-17 09:28:25

It's a real stretch to name Nimco Ali as anti-feminist. She has worked closely with Osborne before now, so I wonder if that's why they've run the story?

I agree though, that standing in a fairly marginal Labour seat isn't winning her many friends, but it seems to be WEPs modus operandi.

aginghippy Thu 18-May-17 09:51:20

The headline is misleading IMO.

The article says 'The 34-year-old said she has received dozens of messages via email and social media accusing her of being anti-feminist for trying to unseat a strong female Labour MP.' In other words she has been called anti-feminist by keyboard warriors/trolls. That is not important.

Though of course she has now been called anti-feminist by the Evening Standard.

Interesting thing about H&WG is that all the candidates are female, apart from the Green Party candidate. Whether or not Catherine West is re-elected, they will have a female MP.

Walkingtowork Thu 18-May-17 13:27:26

aginghippy the Labour candidate is a woman due to their AWS policy, don't know about the other parties.

My friend, a WEP founder member, said they aim eventually to stand a candidate in every constituency (even when there's an excellent woman MP) and would happily have a male candidate "why wouldn't we? Equality is for everyone"

howtostopthis Thu 18-May-17 13:37:19

It should just be called the Equality Party - the use of the word 'womens' in the name suggests positive discrimination would be a focus. Which it doesn't appear to be (from what I hear which is not a huge amount TBH)

SylviaPoe Thu 18-May-17 13:41:42

"why wouldn't we? Equality is for everyone"

That Animal Farm sentiment suits their policies down to the ground. They lost me at men sleeping on maternity wards.

Walkingtowork Thu 18-May-17 14:18:26

Shame because my friend is genuinely well-intentioned, and bright too, and has a daughter. I think it goes to show how little broader discussion there is about women's oppression, alongside a reluctance these days to look at class dynamics.

SylviaPoe Thu 18-May-17 14:28:30

Does she share child rearing with the biological father of her daughter, walkingtowork?

OlennasWimple Thu 18-May-17 14:44:12

To me, it shows a lack of strategic focus. If I were running the WEP, my election strategy would be to stand candidates in constituencies where a) there was a sitting male MP; b) where there was a reasonable chance of at least not losing the deposit; and c) where less than half the candidates were female

Walkingtowork Thu 18-May-17 15:02:41

I'd call it the Women's Liberation Party grin

aginghippy Thu 18-May-17 15:19:51

Never mind equality, I want to vote for the Dismantle the Patriarchy party grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now