Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Identity politics vs male on female violence

(7 Posts)
OfficerVanHalen Sun 14-May-17 17:54:28

I have had a look for an existing thread on this but couldn't see one, so apologies if so.

Several people on my facebook feed have shared this story of allegations of sexual assault committed by the lead singer of a "queer" punk band and who have subsequently been dropped by their label, had tour dates cancelled etc:

http://jezebel.com/member-of-queer-punk-band-pwr-bttm-accused-of-sexual-as-1795132781?rev=1494610541645&utm_campaign=socialfow_jezebel_twitter&utm_source=jezebel_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Reading that Jezebel report of the story and ploughing through all the they/them pronouns etc, it sounds an awful lot like a boring old fashioned example of 'person with a cock assaults person with a fanny'. Except because the person with a cock and their victim/s are all edgy millennials who likes wearing nail polish and eyeliner and feel like mainstream society doesn't really understand their feels, we can't in this instance name the problem as what it is, which would appear to be male violence against women.

The only heartening thing is that some ppl in the comments are questioning it, but they are attracting the usual responses of terf, literally killing people, how dare you erase me etc etc

OfficerVanHalen Sun 14-May-17 17:55:20

jezebel.com/member-of-queer-punk-band-pwr-bttm-accused-of-sexual-as-1795132781?rev=1494610541645&utm_campaign=socialfow_jezebel_twitter&utm_source=jezebel_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Sorry I can't remember how to make links work

Collidascope Mon 15-May-17 16:59:53

It is really bloody irritating. The pattern of male violence against women is already pretty much ignored by mainstream media and lawmakers and this just blurs the issue more. It just becomes a person attacking another person, and male socialization becomes irrelevant. Still, I suppose if the statistic that 98% of sex crimes are committed by men, and the fact that most rapists will never even be reported, let alone see the inside of a prison cell, hasn't caused any changes in the police and court procedures or the socialization of males, it doesn't really matter if we start misidentifying male violence as human violence. After all, either way, nothing gets done about it because the people in a position to change it are men who have greatly benefited from their male socialization, thank you very much.

OfficerVanHalen Tue 16-May-17 12:40:03

By the comments on the jezebel article, a lot of folks are having a peak trans moment over this. However, i read some comments on a Bitch Media article and there was a lot of 'well they have cracked down on this because it is queer ppl, if only they would be as harsh on cis white male sex offenders' which made me want to scream THIS IS A FUCKING WHITE MALE YOU NUMPTOIDS tbh

SylviaPoe Tue 16-May-17 13:42:11

Whatever has happened here, it must be extensive, because the band have been dropped by their record label just as a new album was released, their tour musicians have refused to perform with them, and other bands have refused to perform with them.

It seems to be large numbers of allegations of rapes and sexual assaults, and grooming of minors.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 16-May-17 14:21:14

I've seen and challenged some comments on social media along the lines of 'I know we are supposed to believe victims but there's only one and I heard she has a bad rep.' Since then more victims have come forwards.

It seems to be the same old story that when some men get into a position of power they get off on it and think they are untouchable.

BMacklin Tue 16-May-17 20:05:03

I bet he wouldn't have been convicted of anything anyway as it may damage his career - the usual response I read from judges these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now