Talk

Advanced search

Dove does it again

(32 Posts)
KanyesVest Wed 10-May-17 12:51:28

Seriously, do we need body wash to clean our bodies (exactly what says on the tin) or do we need it to remind ourselves of the constant scrutiny and categorisation of those bodies?

Washington Post link

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 10-May-17 12:59:21

Oh dear. I think this quote from a Twitter user in response sums up how I feel about this:

"Women don’t need to be categorized all the time.”

TinselTwins Wed 10-May-17 13:02:42

Wimmen, even if you're fat you can at least still strive to be pretty
You're welcome
Dove

geeee thanks dove!

Bloomed Wed 10-May-17 13:03:30

I am fascinated by how misguided Dove campaigns are.

Nowthereistwo Wed 10-May-17 13:05:03

I wonder if 'Apple' shaped bodies need a different formula body wash to 'hour glass?

Collidascope Wed 10-May-17 13:07:42

Come on, ladies! We're being empowered! We're being taught to love our bodies -just not to the point where we get cocky and think we don't need to spend a fortune on making ourselves beautiful.

NewStateswoman Wed 10-May-17 13:09:05

You're right Bloomed it is totally fascinating.

Basically they landed on a completely wrong-minded idea about a decade ago, and they're still grimly clinging on, desperate to wrest every last bit of meat from the bones of it.

It's utterly shit, demeaning, bollocks.

user3459859083590890 Wed 10-May-17 13:11:46

oh FFS Dove!

When I'm in the shower of a morning and grumpy and still half-asleep, the last thing I am thinking about is how big my arse is. I just scrub it along with the rest of my body and get on with my day hmm.

PetalMettle Wed 10-May-17 13:13:26

I quite like them using different size models but thus is just bizarre

TinselTwins Wed 10-May-17 13:13:52

Here at Dove, we've had a tonne of meetings and have decided to announce that we are now happy to take money from fat women as well as thin ones. Yes, please leave the applause until the end, yes you there with your hand up do you have a question? What do you mean? aren't all body lotion companies taking money from customers of all sizes already, well yes and no, we're now going to continue to take their money but with the radical twist that we're now giving them permission to feel PRETTY while buying/using it, even if they're fat. Thank you no more questions.

TinselTwins Wed 10-May-17 13:20:46

There was me thinking I used body lotion so that my dry skin doesn't feel tight and itchy

THANK YOU dove for telling me that I can feel pretty now despite my shape if I have one of the "unconvenionally pretty" body shapes you so graphically demonstrated with your range of "unconventional beauty" bottle shapes.

<3 so empowered now

fruitlovingmonkey Wed 10-May-17 13:25:28

I guess fat women get through more body lotion so telling us that it's ok to be fat (thanks, Dove) must be good for their sales.
I can't even imagine the meetings where they approve this shit.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 10-May-17 13:30:35

So exactly where did Dove — a longtime darling of the advertising world — go wrong?

When it started its first laughable "every one is beautiful " campaign to sell perfectly ordinary products which were already available in multiple non-gendered options. More fool any one taking them seriously.

AcrossthePond55 Wed 10-May-17 13:33:20

So, does this mean that I'm only allowed to purchase the bottle that closely resembles my shape? Will I be 'trolley shamed' in the stores by someone saying 'no dear, that skinny bottle doesn't quite fit you, does it?'

Phffft

TinselTwins Wed 10-May-17 13:33:41

Good point fruitloving! keep that up and you'll be up for promotion
Now team as fruitloving pointed out, SUR-FACE-AREA
bigger surface area = bigger profit
Now, what do we know about fat laydees?
Yes Giles? Ha ha good times Giles good time, RIGHT so for those of you who weren't with the time in the good'old days of monday drinks'n'dares, we know that fat laydees love??????? keep it clean now team it isn't lunch time yet.. they love COMPLIMENTS
TELL THEM THEY'RE PRETTY
and BOOM! our surface area profit margins will be through the roof
good work! now lets hit the microbrewery

thatstoast Wed 10-May-17 13:35:31

I don't buy dove but I'm now imagining going to the checkout with an hourglass bottle and being told to take it back because I'm a pear.

TinselTwins Wed 10-May-17 13:39:48

what if I DO have an "ideal" waiste-hip ratio and not straight up and down athletic or pear shaped etc? Which bottle? help quick my skin is flaking?

olderthanyouthink Wed 10-May-17 13:40:10

First thought: ergh
Second thought: men don need this shit, why would women
Third thought: I need to buy more soap, what can I buy instead of the same dove I've been using for 20 years?

KanyesVest Wed 10-May-17 13:48:16

TinselTwins, there's a management consultancy out there screaming for your expertise.

regrouted Wed 10-May-17 13:52:23

Can you imagine the Perfect Curve style collective self-congratulatory handjob of "omg yaaaaass, yas breaking the mould/changing the bottle moulds, amayzung!"...

I'm the one shaped like a bottle of Cif.

hazeydays14 Wed 10-May-17 13:54:30

I might understand it if the bottle had been 'body shaped' to begin with.. but it's not.. so why make it that way? hmm Surely it goes against what they are 'trying' to promote by making categories for everyone to fit in. Very confused by why they thought this would be a good idea.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 10-May-17 23:11:02

Consumer surveys show that shoppers choose soaps and body washes based number of factors, including scent, quality and affordability

Did someone get paid for this gem of wisdom?

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 10-May-17 23:12:26

Can you imagine the Perfect Curve style collective self-congratulatory handjob of "omg yaaaaass, yas breaking the mould/changing the bottle moulds, amayzung!"...

Oh how I loved Perfect Curve.

DeleteOrDecay Wed 10-May-17 23:22:39

Oh Jesus Christhmm What ever next???

EBearhug Fri 12-May-17 16:35:30

I want a bottle that fits in my hand easily, so I don't struggle to hold it when I'm using it, my hand doesn't cramp up because it's having to stretch so wide, and it doesn't slip from my hand when it and I are all soapy and my eyes are closed so I can't see what I am doing.

I want at least one flat surface so it will stand on the side of the bath without wobbling or tipping over. I am less bothered by something to hang it with, but if it has that (and many people will use that, ) it must be fit for purpose, so won't break easily, can cope with the weight of the full bottle hanging from it and so on.

I want the lid to fit so that I don't get soapy, slippery drips round the bath/shower and don't waste lots getting a useable blob on my hand or washing implement (sponge, flannel, loofah, whatever.) I would like it to be openable with one hand, but not to the point that the top breaks off really easily. I want to be able to get pretty much every last drop of the stuff out of the bottle before I throw it in the recycling, so I don't want a shape which encourages pockets of soapy stuff which won't come out easily.

None of this is relevant to whether I am short or tall, fat or thin, totally average or anything else. I want good functionality, not a reminder of body shapes, particularly if this is at the expense of everything mentioned above.

(And yes, scent, quality and affordability are also important factors - which again, are not at all relevant to my size and shape.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now