Talk

Advanced search

Feminist Current: Why are Progressives Pushing Victorian Era Ideas of Gender

(13 Posts)
GoldStars3 Tue 09-May-17 14:34:24

Really great article about 'brain sex' on Feminist Current today: Why are Progressives Pushing Victorian Era Ideas of Gender?

It is the very first article of this kind that I've felt comfortable enough to share on social media, because it deals directly and relatively dispassionately with the idea of brain sex and innate gender, and what these assumptions have meant for women through history. It articulates the problem with the resurgence of gender identity ideology so clearly in the context of women's history and feminist struggles, that to choose instead to read it as a critique of trans-identifying individuals (and cry 'transphobia!!' at it), you'd have to be willing to overtly dismiss as unimportant, centuries of women's hard-fought strides toward liberation from the gender prison.

Just in case anyone missed it and wants to take a look.

BMacklin Tue 09-May-17 14:58:37

Thanks. Very interesting with a kind of brief history of feminism too. I'm still learning about all this (to my shame) so this was great to read.

EnidColeslaw771 Tue 09-May-17 15:00:05

I shared this on fb too, which I tend not to for fear of backlash I'm sad to say. Great article.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 09-May-17 16:49:53

''In a recent episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy’s Netflix show, he explained that that a person could have “a male brain in a female body,” saying, “It turns out you can’t tell the gender of a brain just by looking at it.”'

Doesn't the second statement contradict the first? If a brain is a brain then you have to go by the chromosomes.

SweetGrapes Tue 09-May-17 17:25:41

Very interesting. So actually the last 50 odd years have been the anomaly and we are back to normal hmm

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Tue 09-May-17 17:35:58

It is undeniably anti women. TRA rhetoric is quite openly anti women. However if you look at the nastier sides of twitter and reddit (Terfisaslur.com) you rapidly find this is apparently OK as it's positive discrimination. Women have had it all their own way too long and it's time they moved over and let the more important TW take their rightful place above them.

I swear before I'm 50 there's going to be a second suffragette movement. I'm ready to chain myself to 10 Downing Street gates and leap in front of race horses when it becomes necessary.

whoputthecatout Tue 09-May-17 18:32:55

Reading all those great philosophers' beliefs about women, I am left with one thought. If they are all so mega intelligent and intellectual how come they are also so incredibly stupid?

If they really believed what they were spouting then they are not intelligent at all. But if they were intelligent enough to deliberately make stupid statements to oppress women then they must be be pretty hateful human beings.

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Tue 09-May-17 18:34:26

A friend of mine had the Bill Nye the Science Guy's bullshit tweets about sex being a spectrum up the other day on her facebook page - and she's a professional scientist!

BBCNewsRave Tue 09-May-17 19:18:41

That's what's really frightening, M0stly. The very people who should be dismissing a bonkers ideology, using facts, are instead fudging the issue. Goodness knows what's going on in their heads.

But it's very strange, I mean we can look back at say, some Victorian "scientific" ideas and laugh at how unenlightened and biased stuff was, but to actually be living through that happening, when we should have enough scientific knowledge (and I include social sciences) to laugh it out the water.... bizarre, and horrible.

BetsyM00 Tue 09-May-17 19:20:46

Agreed whoputthecatout. Many moons ago I had to take a philosophy class as part of a maths degree. I certainly don't remember the 'great' thinkers thoughts about women ever being mentioned in class! I can't take anything they taught seriously now.

sticklebrix Tue 09-May-17 20:28:56

The comments on that article are a breath of fresh air.

Thelilywhite Tue 09-May-17 21:38:28

Rumbling I will be beside you!😁

OlennasWimple Wed 10-May-17 02:11:59

It's all very "Women, know your limits!" isn't it? But in the 1990s we laughed at this, recognising it for the satiric nonsense it is. Now we lap it up as science

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now