Talk

Advanced search

Cailyn Jenner in woman's hour now!

(206 Posts)
Badweekjustgotworse Wed 26-Apr-17 10:03:48

Just that really!

sticklebrix Wed 26-Apr-17 10:05:05

Just came on to post the same thing! Listening with interest...

WellErrr Wed 26-Apr-17 10:08:21

Oh good, I've been waiting for a man to tell me where I've been going wrong.

Badweekjustgotworse Wed 26-Apr-17 10:11:44

I'll have to listen later, in late for work (hence typos in title) first five minutes has given me the rage though.
Interesting it's Jayne doing the interview and not Jennie...

pigsknickers Wed 26-Apr-17 10:14:38

Interesting - she seems to be pretty much backing up Jenni's viewpoint - she's just stated she's not a "true" woman.

Datun Wed 26-Apr-17 10:17:32

Penis question - totally fudged.

highinthesky Wed 26-Apr-17 10:21:40

Fudged? Hypocritical preciously coy given how Caitlyn has always courted publicity since "birth" 2 years ago.

Let people be what they want to be: it's when they're disingenuous that the line is crossed.

sticklebrix Wed 26-Apr-17 10:27:56

More reflective and nuanced than I was expecting on Jenner's side.

Not impressed with Jayne's fawning interview style. Also not impressed with her not mentioning Jennie's interview when Jenner said that she's not a true woman.

Ineedacupofteadesperately Wed 26-Apr-17 10:33:38

I was pleased that she acknowledged that her experience cannot be the same as 'normal' womanhood (she said this, but then said cis - i hate this term, believe it minimises the experience of women). I really think there was a HUGE missed opportunity to ask her about trans women in sports though - really, who better to comment?. The penis question - i agree with Caitlyn that it's no-one's business with a caveat - except where trans women want access to women only safe spaces which are - let's face it - usually only there because of the actions of individuals with a penis. I think rapists should also lose the right to privacy in this respect particularly if seeking transfer to a woman's prison. She certainly seemed like her heart is in the right place (bit of a surprise given how wealthy she is and the whole reality tv element of her life). I liked what she said about being 2 years old in her current identity - nice way of putting it, I thought.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Wed 26-Apr-17 10:39:08

I thought she came accross well.

I do agree Jayne had a slightly fawning interview style. But she was clearly a fan of Jenner from years ago so maybe she was a little star struck?

Datun Wed 26-Apr-17 10:48:36

I was pleased she said she's not a real woman. Although that won't win her any friends from the TRA community.

But having said she had always been a woman in her soul, she then says she had to ask 'what is a feminist'?

67 years of knowing you're a woman, but never seeing life from a woman's point of view? Despite being interested in politics?

It just underlines for me that it is the superficial trappings of femininity that they enjoy.

So stop with 'as a woman'. Because, although she acknowledges that she is a transwoman, she still starts every sentence with 'as a woman'.

It's a subtle difference, with very unsubtle implications.

highinthesky Wed 26-Apr-17 10:51:28

Also not impressed with her not mentioning Jennie's interview when Jenner said that she's not a true woman.

Probably on Jenner's verboten list. I bet the WH interview was conditional on Jenni Murray not being involved in any way.

I feel no warmer towards Caitlyn after the interview. The admission of being a shit parent to her first 4 children was no surprise: this is an entirely self-absorbed individual.

sticklebrix Wed 26-Apr-17 11:00:21

But she was clearly a fan of Jenner from years ago so maybe she was a little star struck?

True. Could be that. I usually quite like JG and want to give her the benefit of the doubt.

But would have been happy to hear Jayne mention that her colleague got endless abuse for saying exactly what Jenner just did.

Some missed opportunities throughout the interview, IMO.

Just heard that the podcast has extra material of Jenner 'discussing the impact of transition on her golf game'.

sticklebrix Wed 26-Apr-17 11:02:25

highinthesky could have been on Jenner's verboten list. Didn't think of that.

knackeredinyorkshire Wed 26-Apr-17 11:04:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

knackeredinyorkshire Wed 26-Apr-17 11:05:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedacupofteadesperately Wed 26-Apr-17 11:06:18

Hmmm Datun, I see your point. I wonder if CJ has ever met a woman like me - totally uninterested in my appearance, do not own make up. Often don't look in the mirror before going out. Don't spend money on appearance (would rather spend on a good book or stuff for my kids). Most of the women in her life (that i know of ) seem to very much buy into sex role stereotypes. I'm definitely a woman though as currently have a baby attached to my breast.

Datun Wed 26-Apr-17 11:40:14

I'm definitely a woman though as currently have a baby attached to my breast. grin

I agree it was a puff piece. I think she was very shocked when she was asked about her penis tho. I can't imagine how many people will get fired for the rookie error of leaving that off the verboten list.

I was listening to her through my 'this person has AGP' filter. Nothing she said was inconsistent with it.

Not that it matters. I'm beyond peak trans. I'm now in trans fatigue.

highinthesky Wed 26-Apr-17 12:03:47

I think she was very shocked when she was asked about her penis tho.

It's clearly still in situ, hence such a touchy subject. Admitting it would be tantamount to saying she's still male.

MightyMikey Wed 26-Apr-17 12:36:40

Datun I also look at CJ through the AGP lens, I thought I was the only one - glad someone else can see it too.
Not heard the WH podcast yet - but will do later, although I feel it will the Same Old, Same Old that CJ always spouts - "born this way", "feminine soul", "most oppressed minority group ever".
I did see this American interview with her earlier - I have a feeling the interviewer is a Trump supporting, climate change denier, but his "poker face" is hilarious, as he listens to CJ drone on.
Tucker Carlson Interview

UrsulaPandress Wed 26-Apr-17 12:40:02

I turned it off - I refuse to give him any headspace.

MightyMikey Wed 26-Apr-17 12:47:46

UrsulaPandress you are wiser than me, absolutely right to starve CJ of publicity oxygen. For me CJ feels like a scab I know I shouldn't touch, but somehow can't help myself.

miri1985 Wed 26-Apr-17 12:56:14

67 years of knowing you're a woman, but never seeing life from a woman's point of view? Despite being interested in politics?

I watched another recent interview with CJ where the politics question came up. CJ said that before Trumps election the thinking was that the Republican party would be the best on LGBT issues (no idea where that thinking came from) and that since the bathroom directive repeal.......trails off, doesn't condemn Trump or the Republicans. Never once mentions womens issues or equality of the sexes as a concern.

Talks about poor trans people not being able to get access to healthcare but doesn't mention the fact that Republicans want to take away affordable access to health insurance.

The only politics CJ is really interested in is how to pay less tax. Its pretty obvious that talking points about trans issues have been drilled to come off better than the first round of interviews

Heres the link in case anyone else wants to torture themselves, it is interesting to see how a chin implant or fillers do not move with the face when speaking
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7nrt87LHM

miri1985 Wed 26-Apr-17 12:57:49

Sorry just saw someone posted the same link above and can't see how to delete my post

miri1985 Wed 26-Apr-17 13:05:07

I did see this American interview with her earlier - I have a feeling the interviewer is a Trump supporting, climate change denier, but his "poker face" is hilarious, as he listens to CJ drone on.

He is but hes done some amazing debates with interviewees on the issue of gender www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wGbaCfrjQ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now