Talk

Advanced search

"No Dear, You're Not A Gay Man Trapped in a Woman's Body" Huffington Post

(26 Posts)
Terfinator Mon 17-Apr-17 23:45:04

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/no-dear-youre-not-a-gay-man-trapped-in-a-womans_us_58ef8acfe4b04cae050dc515?section=us_queer-voices&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000054

Oh dear - where to start?

The once-great Huff Post has truly swallowed the Kool Aid and is insulting women openly! sad

"Trans men attracted to men actually were once gay men trapped in a woman’s body. If you’re not trans, making this statement minimizes and even erases their experience. If you’re not presenting as a man and asking us to use male pronouns when we refer to you, then you’re being glib about someone else’s challenging and deeply felt experience. And that’s offensive."

Furthermore, they are doing a "powerful" series on growing up trans...

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/youth-interrupted-growing-up-trans_us_58f4e182e4b0bb9638e5417a?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000054

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 18-Apr-17 00:07:48

That's the oddest article. Do women tend to say that a lot? It's not anything that I've ever noticed! There's an assumption half way through that women are all heterosexual too, which is just daft. I wonder if this kind of nonsense is popular with their readership.

Terfinator Tue 18-Apr-17 00:31:56

Why was my post all underlined? confused

But yes, there's no logical consistency with the argument! It seems that trans people can be whatever they want, but "cis-women" must act in a certain way! IT is just thinly-veiled misogyny! angry

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 18-Apr-17 00:58:26

That's the oddest article. Do women tend to say that a lot? It's not anything that I've ever noticed!

That was what I thought too but according to the article apparently Madonna said it 23 years ago.

I've no idea if she did or not - although quite a lot of complete nonsense (and much mediocre music) has been spouted by Madonna over the years.

nooka Tue 18-Apr-17 01:13:18

What's particularly strange about that article is that HuffPuff are very pro trans, and every argument in that argument can be used (and would fit much better) towards trans women who do seem to relatively commonly claim to be lesbian women trapped in mens bodies. If it is annoying for gay men when straight women do it then it's equally annoying for lesbian women when trans straight men do it isn't it?

Judgejudy1 Tue 18-Apr-17 01:33:10

Terfinator, I'm unsure as to what part of that article you thought was "openly insulting women." Was it the passage you quoted? Because if so, I'm afraid I don't see it myself. Could you explain?

AnotherQuoll Tue 18-Apr-17 06:25:12

I haven't even clicked the link but as far as I'm concerned the sexist insults begin at "No, dear".

ICJump Tue 18-Apr-17 06:36:04

What a pile of crap

ICJump Tue 18-Apr-17 06:36:25

The article I mean is a pile of crap

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 18-Apr-17 06:49:42

"And just because you don’t actively oppress doesn’t mean you’re not part of an oppressing group."

The author seems to be completely missing the irony of a man saying this to women.

CharlieSierra Tue 18-Apr-17 07:10:54

Identifying as is appropriating. And you just can’t take what is not yours to take

Quite hmm

Datun Tue 18-Apr-17 07:22:00

She’s making a statement that she can walk away from any time it becomes too difficult. It trivializes our experience. You can like me, you can have a lot in common with me, but you cannot be me.

I suppose it was only a question of time until the boot went on the other foot. The can't be many of them though.

NotAPuffin Tue 18-Apr-17 07:44:35

But identifying with is a very different thing from identifying as. Identifying with is empathy. Identifying as is appropriating. And you just can’t take what is not yours to take.

Can they <really> not see the irony here?

Datun Tue 18-Apr-17 07:54:44

It's the first time I've ever seen it. I'm so used to seeing heterosexual men identifying is lesbians, that the reverse looks ridiculous, even to me.

Datun Tue 18-Apr-17 07:56:45

There's an assumption half way through that women are all heterosexual too, which is just daft.

It's not assuming all women are heterosexual, it's assuming all women who identify as men and remain attracted to men, are heterosexual.

Eminybob Tue 18-Apr-17 08:13:40

I have literallly never heard any woman say that ever.

The writer clearly has heard it once, and rather than just address whoever said it, decided to use it as a rant to all woman kind.

Really weird.

QuentinSummers Tue 18-Apr-17 08:59:28

Basically I think the author is being TERFy and having issues with "non binary" but doesn't want to say that. And as usual it's easier to attack women.
Why not take issue with the men claiming to be a lesbian trapped in a mans body? Or the part time cross dressers? It just goes to show how mens feelings are sacrosanct, women are just thoughtless or plain wrong about theirs.

QuentinSummers Tue 18-Apr-17 09:00:57

Why is everything being written in the style of Everyday Feminism these days?
The last paragraph is gold though:
Identifying with is empathy. Identifying as is appropriating. And you just can’t take what is not yours to take.
Someone needs to pop on and call him a transphobe grin

AnotherQuoll Tue 18-Apr-17 10:45:08

Believe me, I'm sorely tempted to do just that.

GuardianLions Tue 18-Apr-17 11:03:05

I cba to read the whole thing... but the only times I've ever heard a woman say that, is when she has a high sex drive and wants lots of casual sex - a bit like Samantha in Sex in the City, and usually hangs out with a lot of gay men, sharing anecdotes of seedy encounters in a way that she couldn't with other women because they would be horrified.

Datun Tue 18-Apr-17 11:10:13

If I came out as a man, remained attracted to men and so insisted I was a gay man, most people would steer me gently to a therapist.

Yet social media is flooded with men saying exactly that in reverse.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 18-Apr-17 13:43:43

''Every so often a straight woman will blurt out some version of “I’m a gay man trapped in a woman’s body.”

Literally have never heard any woman say this ever. Author claims to have heard it often and thinks it is a pile of bull.

''"Trans men attracted to men actually were once gay men trapped in a woman’s body.''

Author makes this claim with authority. Apparently its true when men say it.

ILookedintheWater Tue 18-Apr-17 13:58:57

But identifying with is a very different thing from identifying as. Identifying with is empathy. Identifying as is appropriating. And you just can’t take what is not yours to take.
Does this mean that this gay man believes that gender appropriation is wrong? Is he a TERM?

VestalVirgin Tue 18-Apr-17 14:02:37

Literally have never heard any woman say this ever.

I have, but all the women I heard it say also identified as trans. Which according to trans logic automatically makes them trans, so where's the problem?

Women who haven't drunk the trans Kool Aid don't say they are actually gay men. They might say that they wish they were gay men, or that they find gay men more attractive than straight men, but the "trapped in the wrong body" narrative is very much a trans thing.

Perhaps there were straight women who said it in the past, because at the time, everyone would have laughed at them if they had actually insisted that people use male pronouns for them, but nowadays, any woman who says she's "trapped on a woman's body" is probably trans-identified.

Terfinator Tue 18-Apr-17 21:19:05

Terfinator, I'm unsure as to what part of that article you thought was "openly insulting women." Was it the passage you quoted? Because if so, I'm afraid I don't see it myself. Could you explain?

Well, the whole article, including the title, is patronizing and insulting. It seems to be calling all women homophobic and transphobic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now