Talk

Advanced search

Laura Bates: what she has learnt from 5 years of running the 'Everyday Sexism' website

(5 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Mon 17-Apr-17 19:31:20

Great article, but bloody horrific, the amount of abuse and criticism she has had to endure for creating this

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/17/what-i-have-learned-from-five-years-of-everyday-sexism

Destinysdaughter Mon 17-Apr-17 19:31:34

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/17/what-i-have-learned-from-five-years-of-everyday-sexism

QuentinSummers Mon 17-Apr-17 19:34:24

She's amazing. So inspirational.

Destinysdaughter Mon 17-Apr-17 19:35:26

I love how she ends it ( don't think I can face reading any btl comments tho, sadly, they always prove how much a website like this is needed...)

To be a feminist, I have learned, is to be accused of oversensitivity, hysteria and crying wolf. But in the face of the abuse the project uncovered, the sheer strength, ingenuity and humour of women shone like a beacon. The dancer who performed for hours on the tube to reclaim the space where she was assaulted. The woman who waited five years to present her contract and a salt cellar to the careers adviser who had told her he would eat her paperwork if she ever became an engineer. The pedestrian who calmly removed the ladder of a catcalling builder, leaving him stranded on a roof.

BMacklin Mon 17-Apr-17 20:29:38

I laughed hard at the lady taking away the ladder.

Great stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now