Talk

Advanced search

This is such a bullshit topic

(102 Posts)

I don't care if I'm banned but do you remember Shoop from Salt N' Pepa and What a Man by Vogue in the 90's? They objectified men! No one seems to remember that, though.

I feel like it's selective; you're either this type of feminist or not.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 13-Apr-17 22:02:38

Not sure I follow what you're saying- because of two songs in the 90's feminism is a lie??

yes

7Days Thu 13-Apr-17 22:03:26

I remember your name.

Bullshit, you say?

SexTrainGlue Thu 13-Apr-17 22:03:30

Yup.

And the Pope is Catholic.

Though as this is MN, I suppose criticising someone for starting a thread stating the bloody obvious is as much a faux pas as starting a crap thread in the first place.

ThymeLord Thu 13-Apr-17 22:05:48

They did objectify men, you are so right. The scales have fallen from my eyes and i now see feminism for the nasty man hating movement it is. What a mighty mighty good man though...

NotCarylChurchill Thu 13-Apr-17 22:06:12

Iirc the lyrics to Whatta Man are mostly praising what a stand up guy this boyfriend is. I don't really think, "He's got a good body but her look what a great dad he is" is especially objectifying.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 13-Apr-17 22:06:37

I would argue that whatta man, although objectifying, was a celebration of male traits not deemed 'cool' or desirable in the 1990s... So that's interesting.

But yeah, the existence of one song from 20 years ago doesn't disqualify an entire movement. How odd.

DoItTooJulia Thu 13-Apr-17 22:07:48

God, I loved the 90s. Still do now I come to think about it.

LineysRun Thu 13-Apr-17 22:08:13

So Macho. Don't forget that one.

LineysRun Thu 13-Apr-17 22:08:49

Let's Hear It For The Boy. There's another.

Troll what do you mean about traits that aren't deemed cool?

kathkim Thu 13-Apr-17 22:10:50

Iirc the lyrics to Whatta Man are mostly praising what a stand up guy this boyfriend is

It was a song about appreciation. I agree.

HmmOkay Thu 13-Apr-17 22:11:14

My own feeling on the matter is that Daphne and Celeste were criminally underrated.

LineysRun Thu 13-Apr-17 22:12:05

Sinitta, on the other hand, wasn't.

My man is smooth like Barry, and his voice got bass
A body like Arnold with a Denzel face
He's smart like a doctor with a real good rep
And when he comes home he's relaxed with Pep
He always got a gift for me every time I see him
A lot of snot-nosed ex-flames couldn't be him
He never ran a corny line once to me yet
So I give him stuff that he'll never forget
He keeps me on Cloud Nine just like the Temps
He's not a fake wannabe tryin' to be a pimp
He dresses like a dapper don, but even in jeans
He's a God sent original, the man of my dreams

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 13-Apr-17 22:13:00

In the 1990s a lot of music of black origin focused on how 'gangsta', 'pimpin', 'bitches' etc. For black women (and probably some white) there was a definite trend towards 'bad boys'. So the fact that this song celebrates men who treat their mothers nicely and are good dads is interesting lyrical content for the era.

Maudlinmaud Thu 13-Apr-17 22:14:50

Tune. Off to have a listen.

GlacindaTheTroll Thu 13-Apr-17 22:15:15

Daphne and Celeste under-rated....

What about Hinge and Brackett?

MJxJones Thu 13-Apr-17 22:16:59

This is the actual opposite of objectifying the praise in the verse you quoted is mostly about his behaviour and how he treats women.

Have you seen the video? She's admiring him lifting weights.

IAmAmy Thu 13-Apr-17 22:18:33

Presumably this is some kind of joke thread but if not the title describes it rather well.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 13-Apr-17 22:19:03

So feminism doesn't exist because somebody is watching a Chap lift heavy things in a music video?

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 13-Apr-17 22:24:40

I'm either what kind of feminist or not OP?confused

No, I guess what I'm trying to say is, we've somehow gone full circle from remembering there was a time that women were allowed to objectify men. It was cool according to Salt 'n Pepa and En Vogue and it was open, and it seems like, somehow, it's been lost again. I find it sad, actually, that they were so open about it and not it's not the "done thing."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now