Talk

Advanced search

Health Across the Gender Spectrum course - Stanford University

(4 Posts)
Iamtoocowardlytobespartacus Wed 12-Apr-17 14:14:13

NC and my new name is self explanatory

I have done a few online courses with Coursera and saw this course advertised and signed up to do it

Health Across the Gender Spectrum course - Stanford University

I am 3 weeks in and am banging my head against my keyboard in frustration at how gender stereotypes and rigid expectations of gender abound.

One section has a kindergarten teacher explaining how things had been divided along gender lines in her classroom. Blue for boys and boy interests, pink for girls and girl interests. Lining up split along gender lines, etc. That it had taken a need to be supportive of transgender issues before she looked at how things were set up and altered to be gender neutral.

Dear god it is 2017. Why are we going backwards? Why is my DD (7) having to defend herself for playing with 'boy' toys? For wanting to play with super heroes as much as My Little Pony toys? Why is my cousin being told not to give her son pink toys because it will turn him gay?!

VestalVirgin Wed 12-Apr-17 17:00:12

Dear god it is 2017. Why are we going backwards?

Because feminism was a bit too close to success for the liking of patriarchy.

Feminism isn't just something that happens over time, we have to actively defend everything we have achieved, or it will be taken away from us again.

... if that wasn't just a rhetoric question.

sticklebrix Wed 12-Apr-17 19:17:12

Feminism isn't just something that happens over time, we have to actively defend everything we have achieved, or it will be taken away from us again.

10 years ago I would not have believed this to be true. But am now coming to the same grim realisation.

OP I share your frustration.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Wed 12-Apr-17 19:42:00

Me too. I counter my frustration and anger by writing and by attending feminist events. There aren't many, but if I can get to them I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now