PlectrumElectrum Tue 11-Apr-17 12:30:43

Pinched from twitter This is why we have women only spaces

It's from the Sydney Morning Herald.

Mumsnut Tue 11-Apr-17 12:38:07

Thanks for that. V well written

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 11-Apr-17 12:53:49

Lovely logical piece!

BeyondUser24601 Tue 11-Apr-17 12:57:32

Just saw it on twitter too, great article.

One of those that you'd think nobody could possibly argue against, and then there they come and shock you all over again!

Prawnofthepatriarchy Tue 11-Apr-17 15:33:12

That's a really excellent article. So logical, so reasonable, and so clearly argued.

Laurapalmer90 Tue 11-Apr-17 19:29:26

That is a fantastic article. Very well written and argued.

ISaySteadyOn Tue 11-Apr-17 19:32:11

Thanks for that. I thought it was brilliant.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 11-Apr-17 19:38:46

That's brilliant, I wish I could write like that

moofolk Tue 11-Apr-17 19:52:12

Just want to link you to this place that I was reminded of reading that article - a women's and children's holiday centre in Yorkshire. In a lovely old house in the Dales, it's a sliding scale so affordable for all and is committed to remaining a women only space. Boys are allowed until their 11th birthday apart from a few older boys weeks throughout the year when younger teens can come.

hortonwhc.org.uk/

Disclaimer - I'm here now looking at a field of baby lambs. It's great.

PhoenixJasmine Tue 11-Apr-17 21:45:40

moofolk that place sounds great. Hope you enjoy your stay smile

Datun Tue 11-Apr-17 23:51:48

Excellent article.

BagelGoesWalking Wed 12-Apr-17 00:16:34

Saw that article yesterday. Very good.

cadnowyllt Wed 12-Apr-17 13:43:04

Women only spaces - Great. No complaints here.

Men only spaces - Great too.

Barcoo2 Thu 13-Apr-17 03:55:49

Sorry to disappoint you all. Pretty sure she includes men in her feelz definition of women. Would love to be found wrong though.

Datun Thu 13-Apr-17 07:37:35

Barcoo2

What do you think that? I've re-read quickly and she doesn't specify transwomen. But the article reads as though she is talking about that exact thing. Why else would she even be concerned about men in women's spaces?

Why would she be talking about men in general? If she is, it's a bit sneaky.

BigDeskBob Thu 13-Apr-17 09:35:19

I'm pretty sure she has accused feminists of transphobia before now. But it was a while ago so she may have had a change of heart.

BigDeskBob Thu 13-Apr-17 10:15:49

From twitter:
"Clementine Ford‏ @clementine_ford

Trans people do not pose a risk to cis girls and women. Milo Whineopoulos and his band of angry wankstains are the ones harming us.
11:59 pm · 18 Feb 2017"

I think she seems happy for MTT to be in women only spaces.

PlectrumElectrum Thu 13-Apr-17 11:49:57

Gawd, I hate that. Thought I'd found a really well put together argument & lo it's skewed by the writer's own 'loose' definition of woman. hmm

Datun Thu 13-Apr-17 12:19:09

She's another idiot in that case. She utterly sees the argument for women only spaces, and then completely denies it.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Thu 13-Apr-17 12:26:55

Oh, ffs! She defends women only spaces but includes men as women? How can she live with the cognitive dissonance?

VestalVirgin Thu 13-Apr-17 12:29:06

I am surprised, again and again, by the cognitive dissonance some people are capable of.

My brain would explode.

Barcoo2 Thu 13-Apr-17 12:29:11

Yes, she's a libfem. I find her pretty annoying. You need to understand her audience here in Australia. We deal with some serious knuckle grazers here who think women are lower life forms. She is talking about men who say why isn't there a men's room in student unions etc.

Also the trans debate is infinitesimal here. That Courier Mail article about the psychologist was pretty rare. There is basically no debate, no general awareness. Look at the 'Safe Schools' debacle. The right complained about gay and Marxist indoctrination. No one mentioned transing of children.

That said, there's a lot of transing of children going on, wot with the long tentacles of tumblr. And of course we have our intersectional frootloops as that Iris person (and associated discussion) showed.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 13-Apr-17 16:23:49

Hmm. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt, that she had written it in a way that couldn't be challenged as TERFy. Regardless, the logic for women-only spaces is there - and can be deployed by someone with a more accurate definition of 'woman'.

Thanks for explaining the Australian situation Barcoo2. It does explain that Courier Mail article a bit for me - he could write it because there's not enough awareness (or fear of backlash) in the media.

Barcoo2 Fri 14-Apr-17 01:14:57

If Clementine Ford were ten years older she'd be slavishly devoted to Sheila Jeffries. I do find feminist theory fashions quite fickle and groupthinky. Some of Sheila's pilitical lesbian recruits are now prominent conservatives. Falling in line with everyone else is what matters. And of course in the current paradigm Sheila's ideas are "offensive".

Barcoo2 Fri 14-Apr-17 01:15:26

*political

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now