Talk

Advanced search

LGBT activists try to stop Jenny Murray speaking at Oxford University

(34 Posts)
knackeredinyorkshire Sun 02-Apr-17 21:47:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedma Sun 02-Apr-17 21:48:42

I applaud her for what she said. She was spot on.

Edsheeranalbumparty Sun 02-Apr-17 21:57:47

It's exactly what happened to Germaine though isn't it?

You know the saying about open mindedness and brains falling out......

christinarossetti Sun 02-Apr-17 22:00:04

These continual moves to silence debate by calling people 'transphobic' are incredibly damaging and disturbing.

Just a few weeks ago, there were calls to prevent Germaine Greer speaking at an International Women's Day in Brighton for similar reasons.

That was yet another day that irony died.

BiscuitMillionaire Sun 02-Apr-17 22:10:17

'transmisogyny' - ffs!

Shallishanti Sun 02-Apr-17 22:14:28

they will be hung by their own petard(s)
middle England may recall Germaine Greer to be a women's libber and aren't that interested in student politics, but Jenni Murray is a constant and I think trusted presence. You mess with her at your peril. I'mm willing to bet even the DM readers will support her in this instance.

knackeredinyorkshire Sun 02-Apr-17 22:18:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shallishanti Sun 02-Apr-17 22:21:17

good
sometimes even DM readers talk sense

IllBeBackMaybe Sun 02-Apr-17 22:21:22

I graduated eight years ago. I can't believe how much things have changed in that time.

thenightsky Sun 02-Apr-17 22:41:27

transmisogyny what is that?

peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 02-Apr-17 22:42:44

I love Jenni Murray. Nowt else to say sad

user1487175389 Sun 02-Apr-17 22:44:10

Doesn't the 'gyn' in 'misogyny' refer to the womb, etc?

Terfinator Sun 02-Apr-17 22:45:34

How bloody embarrassing! Oxford is meant to be the best uni in the world, yet they're shying away from topical discussions?!?

They're trying to look progressive, but they've ended up looking pathetic.

VestalVirgin Sun 02-Apr-17 22:50:39

transmisogyny what is that?

It is more precisely known as misandry, i.e. refusal to worship the penis.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 02-Apr-17 22:53:26

To be fair to the Mail readers I don't think they would ever support no platforming.

MercyMyJewels Sun 02-Apr-17 22:54:19

Isn't it just 'T' activists now?

AVirginLitTheCandle Mon 03-Apr-17 00:12:09

The world has gone batshit.

Datun Mon 03-Apr-17 03:30:30

The comments in both The Tmes and the Daily Mail were encouraging. Especially as people are questioning and objecting, without even fully connecting the dots.

IAmAmy Mon 03-Apr-17 12:26:12

It's almost risible (but isn't as it's so worrying) that people are derided and subject to demands to be "no platformed" simply for stating the fact that trans women don't have the shared experience of growing up as female and what that entails. So now people must choose between denying reality or being labelled "transphobic" and be met with protests anywhere they might end up speaking.

It's beyond exasperating how accepted this kind of attitude seems to have become, not least at universities, supposedly places where debate is encouraged. Accept "trans women" (anyone who identifies as a woman) are "real women" (whilst also being at pains to say they suffer far more oppression than mere "cis women" and must be centred in any feminist action ever taken) or you're a dangerous bigot who must be silenced.

I despair.

Gallavich Mon 03-Apr-17 12:29:23

Transmisogyny is homophobia when directed at males who identify as trans women.
Because males who identify as trans women don't want to acknowledge that any prejudice they experience is because they are males who are not conforming to masculinity, they invented a new word for it that pretends that it is similar in some way to misogyny.
Transmisogyny is NOT women asserting boundaries and defending the definition of woman that most of them adhere to - i.e. Adult human female.

BBCNewsRave Mon 03-Apr-17 12:31:48

Huh. Friend recently claimed that trans voices don't get heard yet feminists do all the time (specifically speaking about Germain Greer in that instance).
Nope.

IAmAmy Mon 03-Apr-17 12:37:10

Gallavich very much so, whilst also using the term to suggest greater oppression than mere "misogyny", and that combating it should be key to feminism (far more than combating misogyny). It's used to hijack feminism as well in my opinion.

Friend recently claimed that trans voices don't get heard yet feminists do all the time

Nope indeed. Feminists are shouted down if they don't "centre trans women" in their feminism, dissenters hounded, yet some still claim trans voices don't get heard. This is the only feminist space I've found where one can actually talk openly (and state facts) about this.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 03-Apr-17 19:21:27

What you say is all too true, IAmAmy. However, although you get silenced on a lot of "progressive" and supposedly feminist sites, quite a few more mainstream and right wing sites let you comment uncensored. I am frustrated enough actually make a point of registering with all sorts of random sites solely to comment on transgender issues. I'm quite widely traveled in internet terms, as I pop up on plenty of American and Australian news sites. smile

dementedma Mon 03-Apr-17 20:20:31

Was it Germain Greer who said "Nailing a pair of floppy ears to my head, doesn't make me a fucking cocker spaniel!"

IcyFront Mon 03-Apr-17 21:14:54

I’m a woman. In fact, I’m an old woman. I’ve experienced all the ways that being a woman means being a lesser being. I had (perhaps foolishly) thought that the “lesser” was on its way to being eradicated - until very recently when I reached trans peak thanks to MN.

Turns out I’m even “lesser” than I was before, because now there’s another category that I’m also “lesser” to.

But this time, it’s even worse, because it seems we “lesser-lesser” people are not allowed to speak about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now