Talk

Advanced search

Example of a Matriarchal society

(6 Posts)
BasketOfDeplorables Sat 01-Apr-17 14:31:46

Thought this might be of interest

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/01/the-kingdom-of-women-the-tibetan-tribe-where-a-man-is-never-the-boss?CMP=fb_gu

BasketOfDeplorables Sat 01-Apr-17 14:32:59

Sorry, clickable link didn't work

VestalVirgin Sat 01-Apr-17 15:08:55

This is not a matriarchal society, but a matrilineal one.

Men are obviously not oppressed. Quite the opposite, they can sleep around as much as they want to. Many men here would think of that as paradise.

It's a bit of a shitty situation for women whose brothers are assholes, or who don't get along with their mothers, but if one has to have a society model forced on them, this one is one of the best.

(I'd much rather get to choose. Though we can learn things from them - holding men, collectively, responsible for childcare would be doable via taxes. Holding men responsible for their nieces and nephews would not work, especially not in China with the one-child-policy, but also not here, with many families only having one or two children)

BasketOfDeplorables Sat 01-Apr-17 17:55:31

I thought it was interesting more from a perspective that one often thinks about a patriarchal society as an inevitability, rather than just one of a number of possibilities. I wasn't really advocating we all sign up to this model!

bigolenerdy Sun 02-Apr-17 01:07:17

Men are obviously not oppressed. Quite the opposite, they can sleep around as much as they want to. Many men here would think of that as paradise

Yes, you "obviously" can't be oppressed by a system if it let's you sleep around as much as you want.

I mean, there is no way that any one man might actually be interested in caring for his own children for instance.

scaryclown Sun 02-Apr-17 01:32:24

'lets" is a very patriarchal, top down type of word, suggesting power over behaviour has "allowed' a deviation, but that natural position is not sleeping around. That's a definitely biased description.

What's happening is that the norm is that sex is part of male female interactions, but not linked to an 'ownership' or the other partner, as is the decision here. I think that sounds very much like how my friendship group at uni worked..Sex being an expression of desire or friendship that tipped into more than polite interactions, and partner-forming happened simultaneously, but in a different level of social interaction. This was in contrast to my small town norm which was if you had sex/public kissing with imeone, even if you fucking hated them, you had to stay together until a crisis allowed you to change that 'reationship' eg he got off with someone else, you did, or one of you moved away. It meant that your first snog was terrifyingly dangerous as it could lock you into someone that you might marry, even if they were a twat, so i have always preferred towns or friendship groups where men are the circulating outsiders to female core culture iyswim...So i think its not so much men 'getting to sleep around" as men needing to be a good partner or they are rejected and need to try someone else...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now