Talk

Advanced search

Yes, another one...

(19 Posts)
chanceofrain Sat 01-Apr-17 04:00:56

Trans thread, that is. I have just seen this video on my facebook feed, shared by a kool-aid guzzling friend. It's just the first in a planned series of videos from some youth project in australia, educating young people and the rest of us about how "we're taught that people are born either a boy or a girl, and we're expected to act a certain way depending on what's between our legs, but actually shock that isn't true for everyone." hmm

Spoiler alert: it's the trans people that's not true for!! Us 'cis' people (NB please add that word to your vocabulary) are apparently perfectly happy to have people make assumptions about our personalities based on our genitals, because we have an internal sense of gender identity that "totally matches" the second class status gender assigned to us by patriarchy at birth!

This helpful video also instructs how we need to say "people with uteruses" instead of "women" and, when talking about women, we shouldn't mention vaginas. Funny though, not a word to people with penises about how they should describe themselves, or whether it's okay for them to mention prostates and testes.

And speaking of people with penises, there's one in the video who wants us to believe he's a suuuuuuuper gay lesbian.

I am so sick of this ridiculous shit.

https://trans101.org.au/video1.html

chanceofrain Sat 01-Apr-17 04:04:33

link to video

BBCNewsRave Sat 01-Apr-17 05:31:12

Unbelieveable. It's just pure bullshit.

They didn't even stop to think when editing together this bit:

"Hearing things like 'Be a man' or 'You're such a girl' can feel like we're being told who we're supposed to be."
"Most people feel comfortable with the gender they're assigned..."

Some other gems:

Re. the label "trans" - "That could mean the gender you were assigned felt meaningless, restrictive, or altogether didn't quite fit" [Er no, those things mean I'm a feminist...] That might seem like a pretty broad definition - and that's because it is." <eyes roll out of head>

"A trans person's identity isn't defined by the way the do or do not transition." <looks up definition of "identity" hmm>

"Having to live with a body or expression you're not comfortable with can really impact the way you're living" [I know, I'm female hmm]

ChocChocPorridge Sat 01-Apr-17 07:25:06

It's just so fucking narcissistic isn't it. 'We're special because we're unhappy with how we're treated/viewed. You proles over there are too boring to even think that deeply about it, you're fine with what you're told to be because you're just not as special as me.'

Fuck that.

SymbollocksInteractionism Sat 01-Apr-17 10:15:42

Load of total pish!! Just waiting for shite like this to pop up on my news feed, I am peak transed!!!!

GuardianLions Sat 01-Apr-17 10:38:54

I feel quite upset that young feminists could be gaslighted into thinking they are trans by this video sad

LonginesPrime Sat 01-Apr-17 11:12:01

I've been struggling with reconciling my feelings on trans inclusion and feminism for ages now (I have lovely trans friends and am glad that after years, they now feel they can dress how they want and express themselves comfortably), but am really glad I saw this video as it enlightened me.

The video really grated, for the reason ChocChoc highlighted - the scriptwriter participants say that there are many different ways to express and 'be' trans and that trans people should be free to define themselves and not need to conform to society's gender expectations, yet they, having no experience of being 'cisgender' proceed to define non-trans people and lump them all in together, telling the world how 'cisgender' people feel, which is exactly what women have been fighting against all these years.

This video actually made me understand why ignorant transactivism pieces like this are so detrimental to feminism.

I get it now - thanks for posting!

MercyMyJewels Sat 01-Apr-17 11:28:35

Make it be an April Fool!

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 01-Apr-17 13:01:59

From Angela Brazil A Terrible Tomboy (1915)

"Though she would not have minded being a genuine boy, Peggy had the greatest objection to be called a tomboy--a term of reproach that had been hurled at her head from her earliest infancy by indiscriminating friends. 'If they meant anything nice by it, I shouldn't care,' she complained. 'But they don't, for a tomboy is a horrid, rough sort of creature who isn't fit to be either a boy or a girl. It's too bad that I can't even do useful things without people howling at me. Mrs. Davenport looked perfectly shocked when I harnessed the pony, though I told her Joe was milking, and there was no one else to come and do it; and when old Mr. Cooper saw me help Father to drive cows down the pasture, he popped out with "Miss Tomboy" at once, though he did say afterwards I was the right sort of girl. People didn't call Joan of Arc and Grace Darling tomboys, though they did other things besides stay at home and darn stockings. Why can't I climb trees and jump fences, and enjoy myself like boys do, and yet be a thorough girl all the same?'

Datun Sat 01-Apr-17 13:28:07

I've been steeling myself to watch that video. My blood pressure cuff has just exploded.

"We're special"
"You're not"

And if you don't treat me like the special person I am, there will be trouble. The only reason you won't treat me as special is because you're not special and you just DON'T GET IT.

And you'd better stay alert, because tomorrow I might be even more special than I am today. (but I won't tell you, and then get offended when you don't know).

God help these kids if they ever have kids of their own. How are they going to feel when they have to put everyone, including the dog, ahead of themselves.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sat 01-Apr-17 13:53:24

Bunch of privileged self-obsessed kids, who mistake gender for personality. Well, except the creepy "soooper gay lesbian" who I imagine is a serious problem to any lesbians he encounters.

If they keep away from hormones and surgery one can only hope they grow out of it, like the goths, punks and freaks did. I thought I was changing the world at that age, when all I had was interesting hair.

Datun Sat 01-Apr-17 14:09:57

I thought I was changing the world at that age, when all I had was interesting hair

grin

But at least you couldn't make a prat of yourself on the Internet for all eternity.

VestalVirgin Sat 01-Apr-17 14:27:50

Those kids are lucky if all the irreversible change that happens to them is having written stupid crap on the internet.

ArchNotImpudent Sat 01-Apr-17 14:40:29

This helpful video also instructs how we need to say "people with uteruses instead of "women"

As a woman who's had a hysterectomy, that terminology wouldn't exactly delight me!

WombOfOnesOwn Sat 01-Apr-17 16:59:29

The narcissists in this movement, when they have kids, will love it at first -- people who they can brainwash into a nonsense worldview and who will accept any just-so stories as fact! People who will happily give them whatever pronouns they prefer, and go along with all their made-up games, and who can't really leave unless they're being horribly abused!

The problem will happen when adorable 5 year olds who happily call their biological father "mommy" become 15 year olds who know just what buttons to push to provoke a reaction. The entire idea of keeping your emotions in check is anathema to the narcissist/fetishist end of the trans spectrum, and when their kids stop being validation machines, I'm going to guess there'll end up being some horrible abuse incidents -- narcissistic parents often rage when they are no longer worshipped by their doting young children.

CoteDAzur Sat 01-Apr-17 17:14:17

Why is it that most of those kids can't talk properly?

What is wrong with their mouths & vocal cords? confused

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sat 01-Apr-17 17:16:03

That's a chilling thought, Wombofonesown. I know a bit about narcissistic parents. My younger DS's girlfriend lives with us and has done since she was 17 because of her DF. She was very close to him until she hit her teens. Then, when the uncritical adoration stopped, things got ugly. She is keeping a close eye on her little sister who is just reaching the dangerous age. There was DV in the home - probably still is, but she's not there to see it. My DS came to me after his girlfriend had been hit by her DF and I agreed she could stay. The guy is a bully and uber masculine, he put her and her DM down. He told her she'd never make university. She's now in her second year, a lovely brave girl.

BonjourMinou Sun 02-Apr-17 08:07:00

That's so wonderful of you to have taken her in, Prawn

I don't post much on these threads, I mostly just lurk and learn but I wanted to thank you for looking out for her.

Datun Sun 02-Apr-17 11:16:26

Me too prawn. You seem so nice. A sort of heady mix between Miss Marple and Suzie Quatro.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now