Talk

Advanced search

Increased desire for housework and shopping during mensturation

(24 Posts)
user1471499761 Sun 26-Mar-17 19:50:26

I have been reading about Miki Agrawal, a canadian woman who is accused of sexually assaulting an employee.

- repeated inappropriate touching an employees breasts (the employee says "I felt that Miki objectified my body when she declared that she was 'obsessed' with it and made very detailed comments about my breasts, and it also seemed like a way for Miki to assert her dominance over female employees by simply doing whatever she wanted to do without asking, and showing she could get away with it."

- Workplace nudity (The complaint accuses Agrawal of regular at-work nudity – either while changing or testing new company products – in her glass-walled office, as well as the company's open-plan work-space. Also, the complaint notes that "it was common for Agrawal to conduct meetings while audibly or visibly using the toilet" as well as sharing nude photos of themselves and face timing a meeting naked in bed).

- expressed sexual interest in employees ("several current and former employees say that Agrawal frequently told her assistant, a lesbian, how 'hot' she found her).

Raises were rare and reserved for men

Miki Agrawal, is celebrated by the media as feminist CEO, although Miki prefers SheEO. Mikki is a founder of Thinx, who created 'period panties' and refers to themselves as taboo queen for the nether regions, particularly periods, pee and poo.

Miki describes how they came up with the idea of period pants (pants that absorb blood), when running in a three legged race with their twin sister Radha and Radha’s period started, so the twins had to three-leg their way to the bathroom for damage control. Mikki describes watching Radha washing the blood stain from her underwear.

Miki is widely celebrated for leading the way in talking about periods and removing the taboo. Miki launched a global girls club to teach girls about their bodies and menstruation.

I listened to an audio interview and Miki reminds me a bit of Camila Batmanghelidjh. Miki tells some amazing stories. In the interview the host comments that Miki's 9-11 story is one of the most unbelievable stories they have ever heard. During the interview Miki also talks about their real visceral desire to do housework when on their period as they are nesting. Miki also experiences an increased desire to shop while on their period.

Is anyone else aware of this case, the more I read and hear about it the weirder it seems.

nymag.com/thecut/2017/03/thinx-employee-accuses-miki-agrawal-of-sexual-harassment.html

www.manrepeller.com/2016/12/oh-boy-podcast-episode-43.html

picklemepopcorn Sun 26-Mar-17 20:17:17

Ew. Don't know what to say. Ew.

picklemepopcorn Sun 26-Mar-17 20:27:32

I've only skim read one of the articles. I have some sympathy with the taboo breaking, but most of it was straightforward abuse of power. I was a bit confused. It just sounded weird.

IllBeBackmaybe Sun 26-Mar-17 20:32:42

I haven't got time to read it atm but wanted my period came on today and I have no inclination to do anything other than curl up and take pain killers.

BonjourMinou Sun 26-Mar-17 20:34:48

Wow. She sounds awful to work for.

dangermouseisace Sun 26-Mar-17 20:46:39

Disgusting. How can anyone think that sort of behaviour is ok? There has to either be something not right mentally or she's a really unpleasant person. Or both.

dangermouseisace Sun 26-Mar-17 20:47:29

I never want to do housework or shop, no matter what time of the month it is either.

Gallavich Sun 26-Mar-17 20:49:04

Those period pants look rank too. No thanks.

MercyMyJewels Sun 26-Mar-17 20:54:32

Carol Smiley (sp) launched period pants too.

ILoveDolly Sun 26-Mar-17 21:00:32

Sounds quite unhinged.
I don't think I do nesting. I didn't even get nesting urges when I was pregnant

Trills Sun 26-Mar-17 21:08:19

Surely when you are on your period you will less inclined to "nest" as you know you are definitely not pregnant?

OlennasWimple Sun 26-Mar-17 21:11:36

She sounds utterly bonkers and abusive, TBH

And no, I have never felt like doing some extra shopping or housework during my period. Extra chocolate consumption, sure...

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 26-Mar-17 21:17:49

Out of all the weird behaviour of this woman why did ypu decide to pick on the least problematic one which causes no problems to any one else to use as your thread title?

Trills Sun 26-Mar-17 21:20:46

I agree that her behaviour in the workplace is "worse behaviour".

I disagree that her statements about how women behave during menstruation cause "no problems to anyone else", if she is a public figure and is given a platform to speak on these matters.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 26-Mar-17 21:34:26

I disagree that her statements about how women behave during menstruation cause "no problems to anyone else", if she is a public figure and is given a platform to speak on these matters

What an infantilising attitude.

Does having your period mean women lose the ability to think that is bollocks?

To think, "well it might be like that for her, but it certainly isn't for me"?

Given how utterly bonkers and unpleasant she (and I have to say product) sounds I doubt she has much credibility.

PreemptiveSalvageEngineer Mon 27-Mar-17 08:39:21

I read about the other employment cases bring brought before I read this fred. Dreadful. Appalling. angry

AnyFucker Mon 27-Mar-17 08:44:21

Strange thread title choice when you examine the rest of these "behaviours" hmm

MissiAmphetamine Mon 27-Mar-17 10:44:01

All the other bizarre, unhinged, harassing behaviour aside...My first thought was the same as Trills - why on earth would you (instinctively or consciously,) be inclined to "nest," when you are most definitely not pregnant?
Personally, when I have my period, I'm inclined toward doing as little as I can get away with, and clutching a hottie to my abdomen while feeling sorry for myself. Not rushing about doing things!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 27-Mar-17 11:46:07

Am I the only one who feels an inexplicable urge to change my sheets just before my period?!
It is obviously very annoying as in the past it has meant leaking onto clean sheets rather than ones that need a wash anyway.
I always assumed there was an underlying purpose in wanting everything to be extra clean then because it is quite common to be more susceptible to infection during menstruation - it's certainly the time when I tend to go down with colds etc.

That aside, yeah she sounds really strange.

IllBeBackmaybe Mon 27-Mar-17 14:16:53

I've read the article from the first link now. Agree the cleaning comment is the least objectionable thing she seems to have done.

picklemepopcorn Mon 27-Mar-17 14:21:28

I've often changed my sheets the day I start, which is really irritating. I assumed it was more to do with noticing rather than an actual connection. I'll have to pay attention see if I'm doing it subconsciously.

FatOldBag Mon 27-Mar-17 14:40:12

She sounds abusive and totally full of shit. Feminist my arse. She should invent some pants that absorb excrement and then wear them over her mouth.

BarbarianMum Mon 27-Mar-17 20:07:29

I nested when I was pregnant. When I'm menstruating my primal urges are for chocolate, tv and a hot water bottle. Biologically why would you nest at the one time it's clear no baby is coming? confused

Datun Tue 28-Mar-17 09:15:43

I can't tell from that article whether or not this woman is downright weird or merely unafraid. I personally am drawn towards unafraid people, particularly women.

Start-ups are often lead by ruthless workaholics. And whilst I am wildly impressed if you can keep a feminist theme during that time, I note that she didn't classify herself as a feminist until she started the company.

Her adverts showed pictures of fruit resembling vulvas and runny egg yolks. And whilst that might not be your cup of tea, part of me can't help but think why the fuck not? Especially as she is advertising a menstrual product. But also because the adverts were originally banned as they were deemed sexual. She managed to get it overturned and the ads now adorn every bus stop in the city.

The accusations of sexual harrassment, from what I can tell, have not been upheld. But I might have missed that? And even the complaintants said that it was not predatory or malicious.

Whether or not you agree with her particular description of how she feels when she has a period, she seems to me to be very high energy woman with a vision. She may have let some very important balls drop during her mission, or she is just a bit of a weirdo. Or both.

Jury's still out for me.

And taking a phone call while she's on the loo? So what? I've done it.

It's probably just me, but I kind of like the fact that she doesn't give a shit (no pun intended).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: