Talk

Advanced search

Interesting article about Rachel Dolezal

(7 Posts)
Ollycat Sat 25-Mar-17 12:05:26

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/strongrachel-dolezal-struggling-after-racial-identity-scandal-in-spokane-strong/

I found it an interesting read to compare how differently her case was viewed compared with the trans agenda.

She felt black but that was ok a transwoman feels female and they are a woman.

Ollycat Sat 25-Mar-17 12:05:52

How do I make the link work?

Ollycat Sat 25-Mar-17 12:11:11

www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/strongrachel-dolezal-struggling-after-racial-identity-scandal-in-spokane-strong/

OlennasWimple Sat 25-Mar-17 15:29:53

There's a longer, similar piece in the Guardian from last month - here. As you say, very interesting

Boomcack Sun 09-Apr-17 16:55:45

So as a Black woman can I rock up as s White woman tomorrow if I chose too. Why are some people so obsessed with Blackness. There is a say "everyone wants to be Black but first want the full Black experience " Pissed off that this bad woman is being taken seriously and being taken seriously. Being Black is big a costume or a trend

Childrenofthestones Mon 10-Apr-17 07:07:18

"Why are some people so obsessed with Blackness.?"

That's simple. Because there is kudos to be had in victim status and not least of all because her lucrative middleclass career was based on it.
I wonder how many lower-class white to black transracial women will you find living in a run down Philadelphia project, single mothers with 4 or 5 kids?

KindDogsTail Tue 11-Apr-17 18:07:11

I used to even be annoyed when people with upper class accents who changed them to give themselves street cred (for presumed experiences they had never had) as it was thought to be more cool to be working class.

It is partly I realise because people felt embarrassed by their background, and even the Princes have, instinctively probably, changed their accents to some extent so as to blend in with the world at large.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now