Talk

Advanced search

How can I get more involved in feminism?

(4 Posts)
stumblymonkeyremix Tue 21-Mar-17 18:02:58

I've always identified as a feminist....this has become stronger as I've got older.

I'm quite passively involved though...I am very open about my feminism, share things on social media, etc but how can I get more involved in the cause in an active way?

Any and all ideas welcome...

wrappedupinmyselflikeaspool Wed 22-Mar-17 03:53:52

You could start by volunteering somewhere if you have the time. Rape crisis services are always desperate for fundraisers and/or helpline staff so you could find out what your local service needs and raise funds for that or give some time. Or similarly for a local women's refuge or the national charity Refuge.

There's an excellent and varied organisation called the End Violence Against Women Coalition that has loads of campaigning information on its website for national and international causes that support women and girls so you might get some inspiration there.

There are lots of charities that support girls in other countries to educate, avoid FGM etc. I just raised some money for Care International by selling a few books. Very simple, not a massive amount but every little helps.

You could read a lot of feminist books starting with Mary Wollstonecraft and working your way forward through history, taking in British feminist writers from different backgrounds depending what your specific interests are. There are some good social histories by Sally Alexander, and I really like Landscape For A Good Woman by Caroline Steedman which is a book about working class women who are aspirational and don't fit the standard view of happy matriarch. There are loads of new writers coming through in the U.K. as well, and much more varied backgrounds. I also really like Virginia Woolf's Room of Ones Own, some people think Woolf is just too posh to have anything useful to say but her writing is brilliant no very sarcastic I love it and I am northern from a working class background. Also US feminists, especially women of colour in the US who I think have written some of the best texts around. Bell hooks, Elizabeth Berkeley Brown and Kimberle Crenshaw spring to mind. I often talk to people who are feminists but haven't done much of this reading and I think it's good to have a decent grasp of the subject as a whole. Because this will help you talk to other women and girls who have bought into the whole feminism is man hating idea.

You could write to your MP on subjects that affect women and girls. There's the Gender Identity Bill coming up lots of threads on here about that.

You could do informal feminism, so maybe be a mentor for a girl. I have a policy of always helping girls if I can and also a policy of non criticism of other women. I might think critical things but I don't pile on. I might criticise ideas more generally but If individuals are wrong they will learn for themselves. Luckily I work in a profession where this is easy to do. You don't have to state that it is a feminist act, just do it.

TimeforANewTwatName Wed 22-Mar-17 06:49:17

wrappedup Great post.

EnidColeslaw771 Wed 22-Mar-17 10:13:36

I volunteer for a women's aid. I started doing it because it helps with that horrible depressing powerless feeling that can be induced by social media. It makes me feel like I'm doing something. I also take a twitter break periodically for mental health reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now