Is it just me, or is this a missing of the point?

(71 Posts)
user1489831368 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:49:20

I live in what considers itself an extremely feminist town. I walked into an exhibition "Women through history" with my 9yo dd and my baby daughter. Cue baby complainy noises, and we're glared out of the place. Did I miss something in feminism??

honeysucklejasmine Sun 19-Mar-17 08:51:05

You left because people were annoyed at your baby?! Arseholes are everywhere, dear. No need to cater to them.

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 19-Mar-17 10:00:07

Yeah, I wouldn't have left. Was it other visitors glaring or the staff?

user1489831368 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:16:05

It was both! I probably wouldn't have normally left, but I was very sleep deprived (baby) and stressed (9yo) that day and my usual barriers weren't up. I was just a bit shocked, later that day, thinking about the hypocrisy of the specific situation.

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 19-Mar-17 10:19:40

If you feel up to it, maybe you could contact the place where the exhibit was and tell them what happened.

user1489831368 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:24:17

Actually, you're right, they'd definitely want to know about the staff anyway. That sh*t does not fly here, the community's very proud of its.. image.

Trills Sun 19-Mar-17 10:38:44

People at a museum exhibit making faces at a baby making noise is not unusual.

Were you expecting visitors at a feminist exhibit to be less annoyed at baby noises than visitors at other exhibits?

Trills Sun 19-Mar-17 10:39:45

they'd definitely want to know about the staff anyway.

You hadn't mentioned the staff before this - were the staff rude to you?

HelenDenver Sun 19-Mar-17 10:40:48

I would so love to know which town considers itself extremely feminist, so I can move there.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 19-Mar-17 10:41:54

Hebden Bridge?

HelenDenver Sun 19-Mar-17 10:41:54

Of course, I go to a fresco museum without being a medieval Italian painter; it's possible the other customers wouldn't consider themselves feminists...

ErrolTheDragon Sun 19-Mar-17 11:16:22

You might have hoped that visitors (let alone staff) at this particular exhibition might have engaged their brain cells, put two and two together with a bit of common humanity and been tolerant.

As it was, it appears the OP provided a living demonstration of some of the reasons for the reality of many women in history and that such attitudes aren't confined to the past.

user1489831368 Sun 19-Mar-17 11:22:42

Sorry I mentioned it now. Thank you all for reminding me what a silly cow I am and that it was all my fault (BOTH for being there in the first place AND apparently for leaving)
I'll be trying to delete the thread since I've clearly stepped on toes somehow.

HelenDenver Sun 19-Mar-17 11:29:22

What?

No one said you were a silly cow.

raisinsofwrath Sun 19-Mar-17 11:31:52

Given your last post I wonder if you were actually glared at at all

PhoenixJasmine Sun 19-Mar-17 11:32:53

I think I may have missed the point too then..... if I was visiting an exhibition I would not appreciate children being noisy and disruptive in it. I feel my feminism is completely unaffected by holding this view..... I feel the same way about children running amok in restaurants, supermarkets etc and generally disturbing people unrelated to them as they go about their business. Whatever the sex of the children or the people caring for them. That women are often expected to do the majority of childcare and this limits how they can access child-unfriendly spaces is not the reason I find disruptive children in adult spaces unacceptable. Deal with the inequality in childcare, that's the feminist issue.

Totally depends if your daughter was quietly grizzling (fair enough, babies are not silent dolls) or wailing her head off (I would have found it very hard to concentrate and it would have severely affected my enjoyment of the exhibition). And no one said anything to you, you just left because you felt they were looking at you? You weren't actually asked to leave or anything? Sorry - it clearly isn't just you from other posters here but to me it comes across as a bit "my child has the right to disrupt others" and that you're not happy that other people didn't appreciate your child disrupting them.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 19-Mar-17 11:33:11

Eh? OP, I think it was really out of order that this happened - and I don't blame you for not being able to deal with the situation more assertively. flowers

PhoenixJasmine Sun 19-Mar-17 11:34:54

OP are you alright? You sound pretty upset and are taking offence very easily. No one said you were a silly cow.

BertrandRussell Sun 19-Mar-17 11:35:49

"Thank you all for reminding me what a silly cow I am and that it was all my fault"

Sorry?

ErrolTheDragon Sun 19-Mar-17 11:38:10

if I was visiting an exhibition I would not appreciate children being noisy and disruptive in it

I might not appreciate it either, but I'd hope I could show some sympathy and not glare at a woman with a fractious baby.

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 19-Mar-17 11:41:29

Is it about inequality in childcare or about children being unwelcome in places like art galleries and exhibition spaces? When they could be welcomed if we had a less anti-child society?

BertrandRussell Sun 19-Mar-17 11:43:13

"When they could be welcomed if we had a less anti-child society?"

Do we have an anti child society?

Glossolalia Sun 19-Mar-17 11:44:22

OP no one has said you are a silly cow. I'm sure that no one on the thread thinks that either.

Are you ok? flowers

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Mar-17 11:46:50

Sorry I mentioned it now. Thank you all for reminding me what a silly cow I am and that it was all my fault (BOTH for being there in the first place AND apparently for leaving)

confused Are you reading the sand thread?

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Mar-17 11:47:03

Same not sand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now