Talk

Advanced search

RIP Shana Grice

(18 Posts)
M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Sat 18-Mar-17 08:09:48

I have no words for how angry I am with the police

They gave her a fixed penalty notice for reporting her harrassment in the months prior to her murder. Normally I would come up with a string of expletives at this point, but I am beyond words.

AlistairSim Sat 18-Mar-17 08:15:12

That is horrendous. I can't think of anything else to write.
That poor woman.

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 18-Mar-17 08:18:55

God that's awful, quite shocking.

PinkSquash Sat 18-Mar-17 08:19:56

She was failed, her whole case is horrifying

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 18-Mar-17 08:33:55

Fucking hell.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 18-Mar-17 09:09:43

I once reported a man who was threatening me to police. He lived in the same block as me and was accusing me of all sorts of things and knocking on my door and wanting to talk to me. I was young, living in a rough area and too poor to move. The police told me not to waste their time and to "call us when he actually takes a swing at you". I asked if I was required to front up injured in order to make a complaint and I was told that otherwise they'd have nothing to go on and it would be my word against theirs.

So I'm appalled but not surprised at the police's actions here.

Women's lives matter so little.

sniffle12 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:55:14

I know it's currently fairly prominently placed on the BBC News homepage but I can't help feeling there should be more of a fuss being kicked up about this. This is absolutely horrendous.

DJBaggySmalls Sat 18-Mar-17 10:01:29

Theres a war on women taking place. I sound like a lunatic.

PoochSmooch Sat 18-Mar-17 10:14:18

That is absolutely appalling. That poor woman.

I don't think you sound like a lunatic DJ. I do think we're going backwards in a lot of ways.

venusinscorpio Sat 18-Mar-17 13:46:34

It is terrible. And in the week of the Worboys police appeal too.

ZilphasHatpin Sat 18-Mar-17 13:57:45

angry

I reported a neighbour (someone I had said "hi" in passing about 2/3 times) who sought me out at my new house after I moved to tell me he used to watch me through my bedroom window from his bedroom. Police told me he hadn't actually done anything wrong and to keep my curtains closed (during the day). (If this sounds familiar it's because I posted on MN about it at the time)

QuentinSummers Sat 18-Mar-17 14:01:30

I saw your thread zilpha That's shocking. Did you move again?
Poor Shana. So beyond angry with how women are routinely not believed for this stuff. Even though there is lots of evidence about stalking being a risk factor. It's terrible sad

QuentinSummers Sat 18-Mar-17 14:02:22

I hope the IPCC are investigating this

ZilphasHatpin Sat 18-Mar-17 14:05:03

No I've stayed at the same house. I was tied into my contract for 12 months, it's just passed now but thankfully it's been event free and we are really happy here. Haven't heard from him again.

ZilphasHatpin Sat 18-Mar-17 14:07:57

Wrt the case, those "excuses" for why he was at her house/left the scene/had petrol/washed his clothes etc, my 7 year old could see through those. If he doesn't get convicted then our justice system is entirely fucked. Might as well give it all up and let us sort out our own stalkers.

QuentinSummers Thu 23-Mar-17 20:53:12

The judge has strongly criticised Sussex Police while sentencing the murderer, which is unusual but deserved. RIP Shana

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-39363003

IAmAmy Thu 23-Mar-17 21:45:55

Horrific case. At least the judge spoke strongly about the terrible actions of the police in this, putting it very well I think. It's abhorrent she reported his behaviour for them and they not only failed to help her but warned her. The sentences in cases like this also frustrate me, I know they're due to sentencing guidelines and liable to be overturned if deemed unduly harsh but a minimum term of 25 years doesn't seem adequate to me, especially for a 27 year old. Hopefully he won't be released until long after that (since he probably will be one day).

ageingrunner Fri 24-Mar-17 11:42:36

So sad. She was so young. And did the right thing according to the system but was let down so badly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now