Talk

Advanced search

As a society we assume consent rather than assure it

(12 Posts)
RJnomore1 Sat 18-Mar-17 01:01:53

I'm near demented tonight. Please convince me I've not lost the plot.

DJBaggySmalls Sat 18-Mar-17 01:06:54

You havent, it just hurts to be sane with everything thats happening at the moment.
After Ched Evans and Brock Turner, both very high profile cases, you'd think men would think twice before picking up drunk girls.

RJnomore1 Sat 18-Mar-17 01:09:09

I do have daughters but I really hopecif I had sons I'd be teaching them don't have sex with drunk girls?

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 18-Mar-17 01:40:35

You've not lost the plot, and you're not alone.

RJnomore1 Sat 18-Mar-17 01:42:18

I could hug you both. I didn't think I was rad fem until recently.

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Sat 18-Mar-17 08:43:35

I totally agree, RJ. Social attitudes towards rape are still predicated on the idea that women are in a perpetual state of consent unless they explicitly (and with a degree of firmness that would never be necessary in any other situation) say no.

How about men assume we're not interested in sex unless we explicitly indicate to them that we are?

ChocChocPorridge Sat 18-Mar-17 08:56:34

Not to mention, if you've consented to blokes before, then why wouldn't you consent to this one.

As if you don't mind what the penis is attached to.

Yoshimihere Sat 18-Mar-17 09:17:22

The threads about the 12 year old girl might be the most challenging I've read here on rape. She's a child.

RJnomore1 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:54:49

I'm really disturbed by some of what I have seen posted.

Again it seems the most vulnerable are being blamed and made responsible for the actions of adults.

I need a small corner of sanity.

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 18-Mar-17 10:05:53

It's making me very angry and I might need to step away from the two threads. But then I fear that the victim blaming posts will overwhelm the thread and further normalise the idea that it's ok really for this man to have had sex with a child sad.

TheFallenMadonna Sat 18-Mar-17 10:09:51

I stayed up late posting and started again when I woke up. I am repeating myself endlessly I know. But Good Lord. I am really upset by it.

RJnomore1 Sat 18-Mar-17 10:12:22

I'm at a loss as to what else I can say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now