Talk

Advanced search

Microsoft ad about Women in STEM is aimed at men

(2 Posts)
noblegiraffe Sun 12-Mar-17 15:08:20

I saw this Microsoft advert on Facebook the other day. A few girls get asked about their career aspirations, get to put on a VR headset and experience some cool things related to those careers, then get told they probably won't get to do them because there are hardly any women in STEM careers. They then say 'no, I will do them'. Empowering, right?

Except I just saw this discussion on twitter pointing out that the advert is aimed at men. It's girls rather than women, so that men in tech can see them as their daughters.

"It's all part of the "Let's teach our daughters to code while the women in our offices leave in droves" wave of tech feminism."

twitter.com/alicegoldfuss/status/840748751232745472

VestalVirgin Sun 12-Mar-17 19:41:35

Well, it should be targeted at men, shouldn't it? They are who drive the women out of it.
Quite sure the problem is not that women aren't interested in it, the problem is that men are assholes to them so they leave.

And it is assumed that men will have a tiny bit of empathy for their daughters, but don't give a shit about adult women.

Sadly, I think that is likely true.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now