We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Music about women

(5 Posts)
pigsknickers Sat 11-Mar-17 16:28:43

This band I really like, Wilful Missing, have two songs on their new album which celebrate remarkable women - one is about Rachel Carson, the environmentalist who publicised the dangers of DDT, and the other is about Hannah Hauxwell, a hill farmer in the North Pennines. It occurred to me that I've hardly ever heard men sing about women this way in pop/rock music, ie not as a love interest or about how they're making the man feel. The only other song I can think of is "Geraldine" by Glasvegas. Any thoughts? (in the interest of balance, I can't actually think of songs by women about great men off the top of my head, but there are loads by men about men, and pop/rock is very male-dominated, so I still think it's a thought experiment worth doing).

quencher Sat 11-Mar-17 18:42:07

I have and once I have time will link it.

HelenDenver Sun 12-Mar-17 13:32:18

Great idea for a thread

pigsknickers Sun 12-Mar-17 20:01:15

I've been wracking my brains and so far the only other ones I've come.up with are "Julie" by the Levellers and Brass Buttons by Gram Parsons which I think is about his mum.

pigsknickers Sun 12-Mar-17 20:03:20

Oh and I meant to put this link in
wilfulmissing.co.uk/2016/04/unsinkable-sailor-album-out-now/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now