Talk

Advanced search

Calling out sexism, is there any point

(7 Posts)
Wonderflonium Thu 09-Mar-17 08:26:07

I'm on a facebook group for mums in the local area. Someone shared a clickbait story about how "nagging moms have more successful daughters" but if you read the research it is quoting, all they found out was that parents with longer educational backgrounds were less likely to have daughters who had children as teenagers.

It fucked me off and I said so. I made the point that men are never called nags and that being a teenaged mum doesn't make you less of a "success" and besides measuring anyone's length of education doesn't tell you anything about how they communicate their expectations.

I'm not sure if there was any point though. Does it even help to call out this stuff on social media? It was just a bit of fluff to make the other mums smile. I couldn't help myself though. I grew up in the 80s and 90s and I thought this sexism shit would be over by now but if anything it's worse.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 09-Mar-17 10:12:50

I challenge it and take the social consequenses.

AltheaThoon Thu 09-Mar-17 10:58:26

My pledge for IWD is to challenge it more. I'm not a confrontational person but I do think it's really important for it to be challenged.

NeverEverAnythingEver Thu 09-Mar-17 11:06:32

I think it's important to challenge. All this drip drip drip and "it's only a joke" type thing is very insidious.

NotCitrus Thu 09-Mar-17 11:35:33

I think it's worth challenging, to support other women and to slowly change the status quo and stereotypes. Over a generation it makes a difference.

FATEdestiny Thu 09-Mar-17 11:43:49

I saw something on Facebook recently. Not direct femanism, it was to do with the trans movement. I didn't challenge and it's something that now plays in my mind.

It was a friend attending a "sisters" festival (women only, spiritual thing). Asking if any of her friends were interested in attending with her. Someone I didn't know replied that she would be boycotting the event, because they were not allowing transsexual "women" to attend. The conversation went on like they were both open minded liberals and how modern they were to be appalled at the exclusion of this social group from a female-only, feminist event.

It made me want to slap my forehead. They were so clueless on the issue I had no idea where to start. So I didn't challenge. With hindsight, I regret not saying something.

FATEdestiny Thu 09-Mar-17 12:03:33

Transgender*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now