Talk

Advanced search

Trigger Warning for sexual violence in this post please be aware

(14 Posts)
IAmAmy Sat 04-Mar-17 01:43:27

Sorry for writing about such an awful topic, I just didn't know where else to turn to.

I read about these two cases in the space of two days in January of this year: www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/15100939.Man_pleads_guilty_to_rape_in_Botley_park/

Two days later: www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/02/groom-admits-raping-stranger-hours-marrying-pregnant-partner/

These two from a few years back: www.theargus.co.uk/news/5167857.display/ and the latter: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-423854/Thief-raped-girl-tagged.html

I just feel so sickened, awful for the victims (all the victims, the most recent and the former who must have had all this brought back from the most recent cases) and to be honest frightened. These two were given life sentences from judges who said they were likely to offend again, then they were released without a care in the world upon their minimum tariff being completed and went on to commit the same crimes again. Is this how little women and girls matter to the justice system? I feel so, so awful for the victims, and don't know how I can feel safe or happy in the world.

IAmAmy Sat 04-Mar-17 01:44:17

(In case it wasn't clear, the two links in my third paragraph are the same two men from the first two links, years ago).

DeviTheGaelet Sat 04-Mar-17 08:27:15

Hi Amy, hope you are feeling better this morning. Those links are horrific, poor women.

MellieMGrant Sat 04-Mar-17 08:36:59

That is horrifying but sadly not surprising.

I don't understand why a life sentence actually only means 15 or 20 years. That's not justice. Those poor women.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 04-Mar-17 09:32:34

Good to see you back, Amy! I often wonder what the world would look like if women were at its centre and not its periphery.

TwentyCups Sat 04-Mar-17 09:35:39

It's horrific isn't it. Sick world we live in. I personally think rape should be treated the same as murder in courts. We have a horrible rape culture in the UK, I think victim blaming means certain people don't take rape seriously.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 04-Mar-17 10:04:23

The problem with these cases is not the police or the courts or the judges but the Parole Board. I'm not a criminal lawyer so only know basic facts but UK criminal law assumes there is the possibility of reform.

The UK and the EU does not have a "lock them and throw away the key" mindset as the US does. The system is failing at the point the Parole Boards are involved.

IAmAmy Sat 04-Mar-17 10:56:28

Thank you Devi.

Indeed YetAnotherSpartacus, it seems to me women are an afterthought at best, not least when it comes to safety (even down to "advice" to avoid being attacked, nearly always the focus is on women rather than attackers). Lovely to see you again too!

TwentyCups I do agree, although I did once hear someone (I think a lawyer, it was definitely a woman) say the reason it isn't is doing so may create a situation where more attackers go on to murder those they attack, as the sentence would be similar. I completely agree about rape culture and victim blaming (and generally awful people including those on social media making jokes about the second of those cases, utterly horrific).

That's true Lass. It seems in these cases the police did their jobs well (on each occasion), the judges passed an appropriate sentence (minimum tariff not necessitating release at that point, the judge in the original case of the abhorrent individual who was in court again this week even warned against release), but the parole board appear not to have considered any of this or the safety of women and potential for more victims at all, simply releasing each as soon as the minimum tariff had expired. I would like to think each of these would now never be released (surely having already been given life sentences then committed the same crimes again on release should lead to this), but haven't got much hope. Not that this helps either of the two women who were attacked by them upon release.

I just feel so upset about these cases and cannot stop thinking about the woman in Hackney. That someone was intent on causing such horrific trauma, physical and psychological, on someone, purely because they're a woman. The ultimate expression of violent misogyny, yet not considered hate crime. Though by saying all this I feel a little bad because I'm making it about me and my feelings; I don't mean to.

HelenDenver Sat 04-Mar-17 11:40:40

Amy flowers

It's ok to talk about the impact of this on you personally, don't think that's downplaying the victims in any way.

IAmAmy Sat 04-Mar-17 11:47:20

Thank you very much Helen flowers

xmaspost Sat 04-Mar-17 14:21:58

It is truly depressing to read that stuff, fuming reading it, but it is unfortunately not surprising. A huge number of sex offenders re-offend on release (numbers differ by studies over time and location), typically 50+% of them have re-offended with 5 years. In reality the number is possibly much higher, given sex offences are massively underreported.

The reality is there must be much harder sentencing, and much less chance of release ... there will be consequences of that for sure ... but overall it is something I'd be strongly in favour of in society.

IAmAmy Sat 04-Mar-17 14:31:08

As would I xmaspost. Considering these offenders are proven to be a danger and should only be released upon the Parole Board considering they're rehabilitated (I think, in the cases I mentioned) it's abhorrent they were released. I definitely agree with much harder sentencing and less chance of release for these offenders. They completely ruin lives and are a danger. It's very upsetting how little women and girls in particular seem to be valued.

DJBaggySmalls Sat 04-Mar-17 15:17:43

In one case the judge knew he would reoffend and took steps to alert the govener of the prison - and he was still released. I cant get my head round it.

IAmAmy Sat 04-Mar-17 15:20:48

Indeed DJBaggySmalls that has enraged me. The judge went as far as to order his sentencing remarks be sent to the governor of the prison in which he outlined how likely it was he'd re-offend, yet still he was released by the Parole Board when his minimum term was up. Now another woman has been put through something so horrific at his hands. It's ghastly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now