Talk

Advanced search

The murder of Bethany Hill

(62 Posts)
Bragadocia Fri 03-Mar-17 11:29:35

In the Commons yesterday, Jess Phillips read a list of women murdered by men in the past year. According to Hansard, Bethany Hill did not appear on this year's list, not last year's (her death was on 3 February 2016, the conviction of her killers was January 2017).

Bethany was murdered by a man and transwoman. Why has Bethany's death not been acknowledged?

BarrackerBarma Fri 03-Mar-17 11:38:00

This is unbelievable. I'm off to have a look at this...

Bragadocia Fri 03-Mar-17 11:43:47

Bethany was listed in the 2016 Counting Dead Women list, which is the source. Jess omitted to read her name - she went straight from Geraldine Newman to Caroline Andrews, as Hansard records

sources - I checked and double checked before posting.

Bragadocia Fri 03-Mar-17 11:45:35

I thought she then might appear in 2017 (the list read yesterday), after the completion of the trial in January. But Hansard does not have Bethany's name recorded.

2nd March 2017 Hansard

BarrackerBarma Fri 03-Mar-17 12:05:01

This is utterly shocking.
I need to gather myself.
I don't want to believe that a proactive decision was made to OMIT her name because one of her killers was a man who identified as a woman. If Jess Phillips truly missed her off because of this she should be removed from public office. I don't say that lightly.

Thanks for spotting this and posting.
let's make this the last time a woman's death is censored and erased because a male transwoman cannot be acknowledged as a male killer.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Fri 03-Mar-17 12:07:47

If her name has deliberately been omitted that would be appalling and Jess Phillips should be thoroughly ashamed!

PovertyPain Fri 03-Mar-17 12:07:54

That's outrageous. It's almost suggests that this poor woman has caused an inconvenience by being murdered by a man pretending to be a woman! I'm furious. angry

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Fri 03-Mar-17 12:17:46

WTAF

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Fri 03-Mar-17 12:17:47

It does suggest that, the idea that the name of a murdered woman shouldn't be mentioned to spare the feelings of one of the men who killed her is repellant. Anyone who thinks that acceptable and tries to defend it is an utter shit.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Fri 03-Mar-17 12:22:52

I've just sent her an email.

MorrisZapp Fri 03-Mar-17 12:25:54

Is there any chance at all that this is merely an error? I'm as angry as you if it was deliberate, but would urge a cool approach just in case. Let's hear the reason for the omission before rushing to judgement.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 03-Mar-17 12:28:09

Reserving judgement until I have heard what Jess has to say.

Sporadicus Fri 03-Mar-17 12:31:39

My god.

BarrackerBarma Fri 03-Mar-17 12:33:31

I completely agree. We need to find out what happened.

It's possible that the omission of the only uk woman murdered by a transwoman in 2016 was a completely unhappy coincidence despite the list being read in the same chronological order that it is compiled.
also its possible that she was also accidentally omitted from this year's list too as a correction to that oversight.

An incredibly unhappy coincidence I'd say.

I do hope this is the case though.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 03-Mar-17 12:35:52

Another possibility is that she was deliberately removed from the list but not by Jess Phillips. And another is that Hansard made an error.

Bragadocia Fri 03-Mar-17 12:43:40

I checked the video of 2016.

Bragadocia Fri 03-Mar-17 12:49:08

What I mean is, the video of the speech being delivered reflects Hansard, in going from Geraldine Newman to Caroline Andrews.

GwenStaceyRocks Fri 03-Mar-17 12:54:26

I will be interested to see Jess' response to this.
RIP Bethany Hill. flowers

NormaStanleyFletcher Fri 03-Mar-17 13:01:01

This is just too sad and shocking.

YetAnotherSpartacus Fri 03-Mar-17 13:15:45

In memory of Bethany Hill. flowers

stealtheatingtunnocks Fri 03-Mar-17 13:15:51

Jess Phillips does do really good work. I'll be sorely disappointed if this turns out to be the case.

3 women a week die at the hands of men in the UK. Men, or, trans-women.

Three. Women. A. Week.

thecraftyfox Fri 03-Mar-17 13:28:51

TheCountess that would mean that Jess's aide had removed it wouldn't it. Who else would prepare her speeches? It can't be subjudice as the trial was in January and they were both found guilty.

deydododatdodontdeydo Fri 03-Mar-17 13:42:46

Unlikely to be Jess Philips, more likely an aide as said.

FlaviaAlbia Fri 03-Mar-17 13:57:17

If that was deliberate, that's horrific.

Placemarking to hear Jess' response.

Datun Fri 03-Mar-17 14:07:53

I wonder if Karen Ingala Smith knows. Isn't she the one who compiles the list by trawling through social media and newspapers?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: