Talk

Advanced search

Article from former transwoman

(3 Posts)
Poppyred85 Wed 01-Mar-17 17:49:20

fairplayforwomen.tumblr.com/post/157858543148/trans-women-are-women-is-a-lie-that-is-as

this was shared through Fair Play for Women. I found the experiences of the writer and their reflection on gender dysphoria, TERFs and societal gender roles very moving and wanted to share. For me, the writer's opinion on why people suffer from dysphoria and that what needs to change is society, not people's bodies rings true. I feel that if feminists (or at least so called TERFs) as a group are going to try and change the rhetoric on transgenderism it is people like this we should be supporting. I also feel this is who policy makers should be listening to although how to achieve that I have no idea. I'd appreciate people's thoughts.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Wed 01-Mar-17 18:43:08

It's a very cool article. Thanks for the link, Poppy.

Datun Wed 01-Mar-17 18:50:04

poppy

I could be wrong, but that has a familiarity to it. Was it written by 'A Guy Called Helen'?

If so, she was on here some time ago and I can honestly say I felt as though I was talking to a woman. She totally got it.

I would have little problem with someone like this. I don't want to prevent men from presenting as women, if it helps alleviate gender dysphoria. And I realise there is a difference between presenting in a feminine way and presenting 'as a woman', And the distinction might need some fine tuning.

However I can see me being far more of an ally to someone like this.

As long as it remained a firm category on its own. As long as they remain as transwomem not women and there is an acknowledgement that there is a difference. I'm perfectly happy to accommodate the fact that they feel different to men but it doesn't mean they are women and can appropriate all that it entails.

However, in my experience, this kind of transwoman is fairly thin on the ground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now