Talk

Advanced search

Sports Bra Squad

(7 Posts)
longdiling Sat 25-Feb-17 09:52:27

I'm not sure what I want here, just to discuss this I think? Someone in my running club has posted about this 'movement' started by someone in California who wanted to run in her sports bra but felt unable to because of negative body image. Then she apparently just went for it, took her t shirt off and now does it all the time and feels empowered etc and thinks everyone should do it.

So woman from running club is trying to organise us all into running in a sports bra at a local event in a few weeks and I'm finding the whole thing really odd. Am I alone in not feeling remotely empowered by this idea? I do indeed have a wobbly mummy tummy and I think it's OK not to want to run with it on display. I don't hate myself or my body, I'm proud of what it's accomplished but I can see objectively that some bits of me look more pleasant than others. I'm feeling vaguely pissed off at the hectoring by the few women who have decided to do this. Most of whom, it has to be said are very slim. I'm not sure they're making as big and brave as a statement as they are expecting us slightly more wobbly women to make?

AuntieStella Sat 25-Feb-17 09:57:06

Won't it be a bit chilly, even in a few weeks?

I run in just a shock absorber bra when it's hot, but wouldn't fancy it in March. And see plenty of people choosing crop tops. And they're not all young/firm.

There really shouldn't be any particular pressure to wear any particular thing (assuming it's suitable for the activity at hand). I doubt I'd be drawn to participate in this event

I like the current 'this girl can' sports adverts (much better than the first one).

longdiling Sat 25-Feb-17 10:05:17

Well indeed. I think anyone who wants to run/exercise in a bra should do just that. I've just never wanted to! My tech t shirts are nice and light and don't make me sweaty at all. I don't see why I apparently need to 'woman up' and ditch them.

I shall look up that advert, thank you

0phelia Sat 25-Feb-17 13:40:24

Sure, in Cali (home of muscle beach etc) no one would bat and eyelid.

I don't know where you run, but assuming you are in an ordinary part of the UK, a group of ordinary women running in just sports bras is asking to be made a mockery of.

Whatever is the purpose? I'd do it for a political reason, such as if sports bras were suddenly going to be banned by the Tories or whatever but otherwise it all sounds attention seeking and bizarre.

0phelia Sat 25-Feb-17 13:41:01

Bat an eyelid.

NotInMyBackYard1 Sat 25-Feb-17 13:42:39

I have some lovely really pretty sports bras that I'd love to show off and not cover with a top misses point of thread entirely when and where is this run? grin

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sat 25-Feb-17 13:55:57

I've run in just a sports bra, it's ok, trouble is my clothes protect me from cold, insects and sunburn that's why I wear them. there aren't many places like that (hot, shady and nothing bitey) so I'll be keeping my clothes on I think. (Old and sensible)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now