Talk

Advanced search

Writing a letter to school to pre-emptively refuse permission for gender doctrine taught as fact

(9 Posts)
BeyondUnderthinking Fri 24-Feb-17 14:40:25

I've been meaning to write to the school already re the possibility of religion being taught as fact, and so following on from the transing a four year old Aibu thread I've decided I'll stick the two in the letter together.
I figured that writing that I don't want unfounded beliefs taught as fact (especially while my children are so young) applies to both - does that sound sensible?

How much detail should I go into? I have no idea, literally from a scribbled note stating my wishes, right through to detailed and fully referenced citations grin

Datun Fri 24-Feb-17 15:03:50

You could just ask them to provide evidence that transgender means 'born in the wrong body' and isn't a simple case of gender dysphoria. As, from what you have read, there is no scientific basis and no agreement. And until there is a scientific basis for it as opposed to being a medical condition, you'd rather they didn't teach it as fact. You're happy for them to teach inclusivity as a general rule of kindness, but anything specific needs to be backed up with citations.

The end.

Datun Fri 24-Feb-17 15:07:54

Bat it back. You shouldn't have to provide evidence against it they should provide evidence for it.

It might make you unpopular with the other parents, though. But at the moment, stifling of the argument is what is allowing it all to flourish unchecked.

You might also ask them how they are promoting that female/male gender differences are not reinforces. That's a much more popular argument. And of course because transgenderism reinforces gender stereotypes, it's a little difficult for them to hold both points of view at the same time. Should be interesting.

CryingShame Fri 24-Feb-17 15:15:10

If your child is at a state school though it will be inherently christian in origin so I wouldn't put the two things together. The christianity thing will be there anyway.

Seeingadistance Sat 25-Feb-17 02:27:48

I think it would be better to keep the two things separate. It's been my experience that when trying to make a point about something that the hearer or reader is likely to resist, that it's better to keep it simple and straightforward as that gives them less opportunity to sidetrack away from the issue at hand.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 25-Feb-17 02:43:06

In terms of the religion you need to understand that many schools will interpret this as you withdrawing from all acts of worship so they will have to go elsewhere during assembly etc. Which is fine if that is what you want but it might mean your child can't take part in nativity shows (rehersals usually start after half term so there is potentially a lot of time not joining in with the class), class assembly etc. You might want that which is fine - that is your right but don't then complain (as some have been known to) that Johnny hasn't got a part in the nativity. I also think that the gender issue should be on a separate page so quite separate even if you send them together. Not least in case you change your mind on one but not the other. I would try to discuss the issue with the school first to find out where they are coming from.

BevGoldbergsSister Sat 25-Feb-17 13:08:20

Ive been thinking this myself, as the school my dc attend is currently under fire after cancelling a visit from a transgender author, who is now threatening to sue.

What is want to say is my child understands biological differences between male and female, and is aware gender stereotypes are outdated nonsense.

Therefore I wish to withdraw them from any lessons or activities that promote gender stereotyping, use incorrect biological information such as talking about female and male brains which there is no scientific evidence of, or discuss halting puberty using blockers without discussing the horrific side effects or drugs such as lupron which has been linked to infertility and degenerative diseases such as osteoperosis.

However Im not sure if that makes me sound like a raving TERF!

SweetGrapes Sun 26-Feb-17 12:12:28

Well... to me it doesn't - but I'm not the one shouting terf. To them it is - because these are exactly the things they do not want discussed.
The new emperor's new clothes have big holes in them....

Notwhatiexpected Sun 26-Feb-17 19:59:26

I did exactly that, I used lots of sources, (including sources for schools which are gender critical) briefly explained my position but detailed exactly what I expect in relation to my children. I was objective and kind. I have yet to hear back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now