Talk

Advanced search

I am really angry about Nigel Farage lying about rape stats to stir up hate and score political points

(22 Posts)
DeviTheGaelet Fri 24-Feb-17 08:07:39

He is such a wazzrag. He said that Malmo had the highest rate of rape in Europe since they let a lot of immigrant males in. This of course is utter bollocks
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39056786

As well as the obvious racist undertones I absolutely despise using fear of rape to score political points and the air of needing to "protect the women"
I absolutely despise the frog faced fucker

DeviTheGaelet Fri 24-Feb-17 08:07:46

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39056786

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 24-Feb-17 08:26:27

Ditto. I'm sure he'd claim he was accidentally misinformed if anyone challenges him with the actual facts. At least Paul Nuttall didn't win in the Stoke by election though.

Bambambini Fri 24-Feb-17 08:53:37

Immigrants from where? Can't stand Nige but i have wondered if having a rise how lots of young men coming from cultures with a bad record on women's rights will pan out for women.

DeviTheGaelet Fri 24-Feb-17 09:26:05

Yeah there is a difference between analysing what could happen and outright fear mongering based on lies angry

HelenDenver Fri 24-Feb-17 12:04:20

Is this Nige inventing #lastnightinsweden for his big mate Trump?

HelenDenver Fri 24-Feb-17 12:12:16

What IS the point of UKIP now? They sadly won on their single issue.

HelenDenver Fri 24-Feb-17 12:14:09

Also, logic: if Malmo is the "rape capital of the world" because of all the "dodgy furriners", why would the rate be higher than the foreigh places where the "dodgy furriners" are the vast majority of the population??

FloweringDeranger Fri 24-Feb-17 12:40:03

Are you so sure that it isn't happening? I was one of those initially thrown by the change in Sweden's rape collection statistics when there were absurd figures circulating around the time of Cologne, but that doesn't mean that there isn't some truth in it. I have heard complaints on the interne from Swedish women that they are being erased in much the same way as us British in favour of 'right-on' extreme left-wing batshittery.

For Helen's logic I give you this: the rate of domestic violence and the oppression of women is worse in many of these countries, particularly those embracing fundamentalist modes of Islam right now. Plus the lone males coming over here as economic migrants (not refugees obviously) are often doing so because they want excitement in life, access to women is a part of that for men, and western women are seen as loose in comparison to their own downtrodden companions. Demographic sex imbalance can itself be problematic and was such an imbalance at the height of the migrant crisis.

I realise it is hard to be occasionally saying the same thing as extreme nutjobs, but life will get even harder for women if we accept that some things are not to be questioned in case we are called bigoted. Not everyone in the world is nice!

FloweringDeranger Fri 24-Feb-17 12:44:14

But I'd agree about questioning the need for UKIP's existence now!

HelenDenver Fri 24-Feb-17 12:52:24

Mmm.

But: rape is not defined the same everywhere - some countries probably don't recognise marital rape, for example, and Germany has relatively recently removed the requirement for force from its definition. The Assange condom case is illegal both here and Sweden, but not globally.

Comparable reporting rates are also an issue.

I am not saying there are no cultural issues to do with the perception of women. I am saying the stats are not backing Farage up in the way he thinks.

HelenDenver Fri 24-Feb-17 13:07:31

All this is in the link, though.

FloweringDeranger Fri 24-Feb-17 13:34:34

That's fair enough. Might teach me not to skim-read so quick.

RJnomore1 Fri 24-Feb-17 13:35:48

Sorry I have t read the link yet but frog faced fucker is brilliant 😂

Off to read now

Lweji Fri 24-Feb-17 13:38:05

It should be taken into account that the definition of rape in Sweden is broader than in most places.
If other definitions were used, it would get very low.

MercyMyJewels Fri 24-Feb-17 13:57:21

Yes the stats collected are of a much wider criteria in Sweden

DeviTheGaelet Fri 24-Feb-17 14:58:52

flowering look at the link, it has the stats.
Sweden has the highest number of rapes but this is not correlated with migration and nor has it gone up recently.
It's a bullshit link made up by frog face.
Helen had not made the connection with trump but you could well be right.

HelenDenver Fri 24-Feb-17 16:28:00

Now that UKIP has no point, Farage is a Bellend Without Portfolio.

A cushty job as Dickhead in Chief for Trump would suit him well; that's the angle.

OrchidaceousRose Fri 24-Feb-17 16:30:23

Does anyone know if Sweden has a high number of rapes due to a better conviction rate than e.g. The UK. So there is a better chance of justice/sympathetic treatment for a victim/survivor when they report?

DeviTheGaelet Fri 24-Feb-17 16:32:35

There is speculation that the reporting rate is higher there, also their definition of rape is broader than ours (and other countries) so more crimes are included in that category

HelenDenver Fri 24-Feb-17 16:34:44

That's part of it - reducing the stigma around reporting - think that it's reports not convictions.

Also, as per the link, a woman raped by her husband nearly every night for a year would have 300 reports of rape, not "one count of multiple rape" as is more common elsewhere.

This is also an issue for U.K. DV stats, where only something like the first five incidents are recorded

Lweji Fri 24-Feb-17 17:41:11

Despite the broader definition, Sweden still has a low rate of rape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now