Talk

Advanced search

Newest Money Supermarket advert. Help me work out why it's wrong?

(7 Posts)
SpongeBobJudgeyPants Mon 20-Feb-17 19:51:25

The men dancing dressed as women, but in this one they have acquired a big woman 'forman/foreperson' who shouts a bit. Now, I know you might say that the men are dressing as women, and opening themselves up to possible ridicule, in fact the dancing probably has just such that objective! But the woman...we seem to be encouraged to laugh and poke fun because she is more funny because she is large sad. I'm really uncomfortable about this... I think it's because we are laughing at the menz because of their clothes, ie something they CAN immediately change, but the woman....the largeness is part of who she is at this and any forseeable moments in time. Is there something else I am missing?

VikingVolva Mon 20-Feb-17 19:55:42

Yes, I think it's about poking fun at the thin/glam stereotype of decorative females only tenuously related or entirely unrelated to the product in adverts.

So whether it is sex, size, grooming or whatever else fed the original stereotype, the breach of that characteristic is the same breach.

As you might guess, I'm ok with this.

janesmom Mon 20-Feb-17 19:57:04

Think the OP is reading a bit too much into this. Not sure her size has much to do with it really?

I hate these ads are all the same though!

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 20-Feb-17 20:00:49

Isn't the lead builder also large, and part of what is meant to be amusing about him dancing?

The whole ad is horrid generally though.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 20-Feb-17 20:01:36

Think the OP is reading a bit too much into this. Not sure her size has much to do with it really?

Yep me too.

ExConstance Mon 20-Feb-17 20:49:03

I should hate these ads, I really should, but for reasons I cannot fathom I am totally addicted to them. Who thought them up - how could they?

dementedma Mon 20-Feb-17 20:50:25

YABU for using "menz"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now