Talk

Advanced search

when you want to join a feminist activist group and....

(10 Posts)
aquamarina100 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:36:51

You see this...
Do you join anyway? I feel strongly about the closure of women's domestic violence services but this policy really angers me.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Mon 20-Feb-17 19:41:44

I'd want to know their opinion of Kellie Maloney strangling their wife.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 20-Feb-17 19:44:20

I guess you could go along and see what the make up of the group is and whether that affects how it operates?

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 20-Feb-17 20:29:16

I think we can probably predict how the group will operate. One of the reasons feminism and transgenderism are incompatible is that when transwomen enter such groups they make it all about them and silence other voices.

I can't count the number of articles I've read in which feminists complain about how the entire agenda of meetings, even of social events, is immediately dominated by any transwoman who turns up. This happens partly because of their male socialization and partly because any Everyday Feminism types centre them in everything, transwomen being the most oppressed pitiful group ever to have walked the Earth.

I am appalled that they exclude transmen, who are no more likely to commit DV than other women, but include transwomen who are just as violent as any other men.

Xenophile Mon 20-Feb-17 20:32:31

The FemSoc where I am explicitly excludes TERFs, but includes MtT.

So, males over females.

Just like the rest of the world.

GinAndSonic Mon 20-Feb-17 20:38:42

I haven't joined my local sisters uncut due to trans women being welcome. Id probably be kicked out for being a TERF anyway.

user1487544648 Mon 20-Feb-17 23:19:22

Does anyone know of a TERF friendly group in Yorkshire?

Bambambini Tue 21-Feb-17 13:17:44

I'd be interested to see them in action in real life.

FlaviaAlbia Tue 21-Feb-17 13:23:53

My local feminism groups have a MTF trans activist member. I avoid them like the plague as any questioning of this dogma means you're unwelcome.

Bambambini Tue 21-Feb-17 13:57:44

I just don't understand how these groups refuse to even discuss wider feminist ideas - just completely seem to close down any critical discussion or views.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now