Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone encountered this FB group?

(34 Posts)
NotWeavingButDarning Mon 20-Feb-17 12:45:53

I usually lurk rather than post here, but I've recently stumbled across a FB group called 'So you want to raise a feminist'.

I joined it and I've been really shocked surprised by the differences between it and what I tend to read on here. I think it's mainly an American group, although some obv. from other places, and loads of the things posted seem quite anti-feminist to me - they call each other 'ladies' a lot etc. Is this just differences between UK and US feminists?

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen/joined it and what you think?

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 20-Feb-17 16:46:29

It's a closed group and I can't see any of the posts on my phone. What does it say precisely?

Bambambini Mon 20-Feb-17 18:48:03

See - talkibg of feminist sites, i go out and try to find the sensible Trans folk and intersectional feminists to counter the concern i feel about TActvism. Then i find a conversation like this.

m.facebook.com/comment/replies/?ctoken=707604856086519_707692586077746&p=-5&count=26&pc=1&ft_ent_identifier=707604856086519&gfid=AQDGbqo0KyU5byg8&refid=52&__tn__=R

Bambambini Mon 20-Feb-17 18:50:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Aliasnumberone Mon 20-Feb-17 20:26:02

Yup that's some liberal progressive post modern intersectionality bullsht alrighty.
I was on a Facebook intersectional page the ther day where a transwoman said all cis scum should die and the women arguing with her that 'she' wasn't a feminist for, you know, hating women and wishing them dead were banned from the group for transphobia and the trans 'woman' was allowed to stay and was fawned over with handmaidens asking if they were OK after the literal violence of the abuse... Facebook fries my brain. There are some great radfem groups though

NotWeavingButDarning Mon 20-Feb-17 20:35:23

Now I'm trying to think of specific examples...there was one post for example where many posters were in praise of Barbie dolls or at least giving 'Meh, I had loads, didn't do me any harm' type of answers.

Another where someone was asking about the use of the word 'ladies' and the majority of respondents seemed to be saying that they often use the words ladies or girls to refer to women.

I think it's more the tone of the whole page, tbh. I am not explaining well, sorry confused

Bambambini Mon 20-Feb-17 20:38:58

Well tbh, i use ladies all the time - don't have a problem with it.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 20-Feb-17 20:45:20

I can't access the FB page, so can't see how old the people posting are. Because I'm wondering how often people who spout that kind of utter bollocks are still at university and happy to theorize, or at least very young and inexperienced.

Most of the posters on MN know all about the immutability of sex because we're either parents or hoping to become so. When none of your friends have had babies yet it's a lot easier to believe that biology isn't a thing.

Bambambini Mon 20-Feb-17 20:56:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Aliasnumberone Mon 20-Feb-17 21:03:18

Omg polycystic ovaries does not mean you're intersex, jeebus, slams head on desk

FayeandMe Mon 20-Feb-17 21:07:55

I just read that polycystic thing hmm

What da fuk?

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 20-Feb-17 21:10:08

The second word in polycystic ovaries is ovaries ffs!

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 20-Feb-17 21:12:14

Thank you, Bambambini. Much appreciated smile

TalkingintheDark Mon 20-Feb-17 23:30:42

Why the deletions?

Bambambini Mon 20-Feb-17 23:41:06

I linked to some FB pages that were slamming Terfs ans Swerfs - probably deleted for the unpleassnt hate speech. Fsir enough.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 20-Feb-17 23:49:56

Pcos is a condition which only occurs in women. Anyone who says otherwise can fottfsofawtgtfosm. Which is not the sort of thing I often say.

TalkingintheDark Mon 20-Feb-17 23:50:39

Oh I see. But making people aware of hate speech isn't the same thing as actually promoting hate speech... is it?

wink

Albadross Tue 21-Feb-17 09:02:19

I saw the comments before they got deleted but couldn't really make head nor tail of what the gist was tbh confused

Bambambini Tue 21-Feb-17 09:12:08

It was just an example of people on a pro trans/anti terf fb Page explaining the science behind trans ideology. Probably deleted as the folk were identifyable - fair enough.

Gallavich Tue 21-Feb-17 09:15:10

Just because people call themselves feminists doesn't mean they are. Liberal feminists tend to be fairly uncritical about things like barbies whereas radical feminists would have a more critical perspective.

Poppyred85 Tue 21-Feb-17 09:35:02

Good grief. I'm going to have to stop reading those kind of posts before I cause myself a serious brain injury from banging my head against a wall. PCOS as intersex. I'm pretty sure most of mainstream medicine would disagree with that. It has more in common with type 2 diabetes as a metabolic disorder rather than intersex. No wonder I spend so much of my time explaining to young women that sex without contraception usually leads to a baby if this is the shit they come up with. I think we need a FFS WTF emoji.

MissiAmphetamine Tue 21-Feb-17 09:51:43

As a New Zealander, I find that Americans are generally so much more sexist and affected (in manner,) than Brits. I was overjoyed to come across Mumsnet - you all are much more down to earth, sharp-witted, and properly feminist (not libfem!) than the posters on the average American mum's group/site.
They seem chock full of internalised misogyny confused

ChocChocPorridge Tue 21-Feb-17 10:29:14

I live away from the UK, and my kids go to an international school, and I have to echo that yes, the American kids/parents tend to be more boxed into their gender norms than some other nationalities (along with the South Africans, and in some ways Eastern Europeans) - although obviously that's a huge generalisation based on a relatively small sample of people who aren't even in their home country, and without fail, the kids are all still lovely, and the parents pleasant to speak to - albeit sometimes I avoid some subjects with some parents, and my kids sometimes have to defend their plans to wear pink fairy wings or heart socks or whatever to kids who didn't realise they could.

I've lived a lot of places though, and it's all swings and roundabouts in day to day life. I think that the denial of reality is an internet phenomenon that crosses national boundaries though - and these people declaring sex to be a social construct are either doing it to further their own ends (Riley) or because they're desperately trying to do the right thing and haven't engaged their brain on the matter.

ChocChocPorridge Tue 21-Feb-17 10:31:50

Or (thought of a third one - probably more relevant here) - they attach different/more meaning to a word than I would - eg. I think 'woman' means adult, human, female, but they add a lot more baggage around how that means you'll act, what you wear etc.

That's the fault of people conflating sex and gender though - something that the TAs enthusiastically encourage.

hazeyjane Tue 21-Feb-17 10:42:28

PCOS is intersex!! Fuck that shit. I have PCO, and am a woman due to, you know, being a female with a female reproductive system and XX chromosomes.

I have had 3 children, have breastfed, have had a form of cancer that it is only possible to get if you are female, ffs - I have steam pouring out of every one of my perfect female orifices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now