Talk

Advanced search

Transgender doll

(31 Posts)
Bragadocia Fri 17-Feb-17 19:15:56

Doll has been assigned transgender at construction. Has anyone asked the doll how it chooses to identify? I think not.

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/17/worlds-first-transgender-doll-to-be-unveiled-at-new-york-toy-fair

Bragadocia Fri 17-Feb-17 19:17:35

"I always loved playing with dolls, [says Jazz, who inspired the toy]. “It was a great way to show my parents that I was a girl".

VestalVirgin Fri 17-Feb-17 19:29:41

So what? I've put Ken in Barbie's clothes as a child, I am pretty sure.
And I sure hope this is the only thing transgender about that doll.

I'd find it a bit unsettling if it actually had a neovag detailed enough so that you can tell it is not an actual vagina. confused

QueenLaBeefah Fri 17-Feb-17 20:04:46

£72?!?!

Bragadocia Fri 17-Feb-17 20:13:25

It's £72 because it's special.

I don't know how you're supposed to know it's transgender though, once out of the packaging. I rather thought it was a Kardashian.

Terfinator Fri 17-Feb-17 21:28:37

The doll seems to 'pass'. I would never have guessed that it wasn't meant to be female. Or is that the point?

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 17-Feb-17 21:31:34

My DD doesn't seem to play with folks, is she trying to tell me something about which gender she identifies with hmm

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 17-Feb-17 21:32:29

folks??? Dolls obv

Cooroo Fri 17-Feb-17 21:51:27

Yes the quote about playing with dolls proving you are a girl bothered me. My DD never did, but is now 20 and hasn't mentioned that she is actually a boy. Why on earth can't boys play with dolls?? Wear dresses?

TheHouseOfIllRepute Fri 17-Feb-17 21:54:47

Will it be anatomically correct halo

CharlieSierra Fri 17-Feb-17 21:58:00

Actually Terfinator I looked at it and thought they had captured that not quite right look to a T. She doesn't quite pass.

VestalVirgin Sat 18-Feb-17 10:31:45

Actually Terfinator I looked at it and thought they had captured that not quite right look to a T. She doesn't quite pass.

I thought that, too, but is that intentional, or is it just a badly made doll?
It seems unlikely to me that they did that on purpose.

ForeverLivingMyArse Sat 18-Feb-17 10:34:49

I don't get it.

HeyRoly Sat 18-Feb-17 14:01:41

Jazz Jennings played with dolls when he was a little boy to prove he was a girl? I can't believe such a reductive argument is even allowed to exist unchallenged, let alone lead to the existence of a "transgender" doll. Are children even supposed to be able to comprehend that this doll "was a boy but now identifies as a girl"? Or is this doll, considering the eye watering price tag, intended for transwomen to buy for themselves?

My five year old DD doesn't care for dolls and never has. Does that mean she isn't a girl?

designstudent93 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:57:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 20-Mar-17 15:05:52

Performance playing? The definition of play is that its un-selfconscious.

ChocChocPorridge Mon 20-Mar-17 20:39:43

I never liked dolls, DS1 never liked any kind of humanoid toy, DS2 has put to bed, or taken to bed to snuggle, everything from his brothers cars, to his Bing doll, to boxing gloves and a metal detector and often carries some doll or other around and has it eat food with him and chats to it.

Which genders are we all again? Fuck that. We're all just us, with our own interests, and those interests have nothing to do with what we have in our pants.

nocoolnamesleft Fri 24-Mar-17 23:39:26

I preferred action men to dolls, as they came with better accessories. And yet I'm a woman.

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Sat 25-Mar-17 00:51:16

I identify as a Hatchimal, so glad to see I will also be represented at the New York toy fair.

OlennasWimple Sat 25-Mar-17 02:22:08

<sigh>

TheGaleanthropist Sat 25-Mar-17 02:24:00

Does this mean Ken and Action Man were just asexual and ahead of their time? That Barbie had top surgery and was only half way through bottom surgery? What was Tiny Tears?

user1490706848 Tue 28-Mar-17 14:20:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

VestalVirgin Tue 28-Mar-17 15:42:23

You know, thinking about it, almost all my dolls were intersex. They just had a peehole, if that, and no genitals whatsoever. Could have been babies of either sex with mutilated genitals, the poor darlings.
There was only one baby boy. Whom I might have dressed in the flowery dresses of my other dolls sometimes.

Clearly, I was a very inclusive child and very ahead of my time ... well, except most children likely did the same and owned the very same kind of doll.

The theory that Barbie is trans makes so much sense - I mean, even at six years old, I knew that real women didn't look like that. With lots of surgery, on the other hand ...

ahamsternest Tue 28-Mar-17 15:53:58

Does it have a penis?

FrancisCrawford Tue 28-Mar-17 15:59:46

I used to dress my teddies in dolls clothes and wheel them around in a pram. I was especially fond of putting my panda into a yellow pram suit.

Should my parents have been worried?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now