Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Trump reverses trans student's bathroom rights

(19 Posts)
Twogoats Thu 16-Feb-17 20:19:17

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already. Obama set guidelines allowing trans students in schools and universities to use whichever toilet they identified with. Trump has halted these guidelines indefinitely.

I know that it's a win for feminists, but it's left a sour taste in my mouth because it's Trump...

glenthebattleostrich Thu 16-Feb-17 20:21:27

Give a gorilla a typewriter and eventually he'll type you a sonnet.

VestalVirgin Thu 16-Feb-17 21:49:53

Wrong clock is right once a day, et cetera.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 16-Feb-17 21:56:47

What they said.

venusinscorpio Fri 17-Feb-17 00:03:29

I know. But that bit is right.

CaoNiMa Fri 17-Feb-17 08:02:01

This is something that really bothers me - the conflation of gender critical feminism with far right views. For those who lack critical thinking and leap to conclusions from bombastic news headlines (which, without sounding pompous, is most people), it spells bad news for the future.

Freddorika Fri 17-Feb-17 08:07:54

It pains me to say it but I was pleased to hear this.

MorrisZapp Fri 17-Feb-17 08:09:22

Go Trump! He's a Scotsman you know.

MoreThanUs Fri 17-Feb-17 08:09:45

I think we need to take the Silver Linings.

Ouriana Fri 17-Feb-17 11:04:04

As much as I hate Trump, I think Id prefer him to the Canadian alternative of a government that takes advice from a grown man who thinks he's a six year old.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 17-Feb-17 11:14:29

In the USA conservative women are joining forces with radfems to protect the interests of women against the trans agenda. I don't have a problem with that. It's all women who are being affected so all women should speak.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 17-Feb-17 11:17:31

Meant to add that I was very pleased to hear about Trump's decision. OK it may be the only good decision he's gonna make, but it's still good. I'd guess it pleases a lot of parents.

It's his rulings on other matters that concern me.

Twogoats Fri 17-Feb-17 12:34:04

Yes, I think he did this out of his dislike for 'otherness', rather than respect for women.

Still, I'm surprised the media aren't reporting it widely yet?

ErrolTheDragon Fri 17-Feb-17 14:45:22

According to this http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-lgbt-rights-transgender-jeff-sessions-white-house-bathroom-law-mike-pence-a7580201.html its the Attorney General rather than Trump himself who has quashed the bathroom provision, and Trump continues to support an order protecting against workplace discrimination against trans people.

The indy depicts this as contradictory but hopefully will turn out not to be - trans people shouldn't be discriminated against (full employment rights, no gendered restrictions on dress codes etc) but neither should they be permitted to access single sex facilities merely by 'identifying'.

VestalVirgin Fri 17-Feb-17 14:54:27

Ah. So Trump himself remains reliably idiotic.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. I.e. whether Trump will realize this goes against his advantaging men in all things, or whether he will state - which would be sensible, but we know he is not - that having to use bathrooms according to sex, not gender is no discrimination against trans.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 17-Feb-17 15:12:30

A lot of Trump's supporters are born-again Christians and social conservatives. Both groups strongly support protecting "our" women and girls from men in showers etc. The ghastly Lila,Perry is as much a matter of concern to them as he is to feminists (and the poor girls in his class).

This explains Trump's decision. The attacks on abortion we are likely to see increasing during his presidency will be designed to appeal to the same group. So we're allies over the trans agenda but are unlikely to see eye to eye over many others

VestalVirgin Fri 17-Feb-17 15:20:13

Both groups strongly support protecting "our" women and girls from men in showers etc.

Do you think Trump will grant male prisoners access to women's prisons, via self-identification?

I mean, good women don't commit crimes, so the conservatives won't be worried about that .... hmm

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 17-Feb-17 16:26:56

I don't imagine so, though you're right in theory. Because if you don't accept that transwomen should be in women's loos, showers, hospital wards, etc then suddenly reversing tack over prisons would look extremely weird, even to people I would probably think were pretty weird themselves.

BenLinusatemyhomework Fri 17-Feb-17 19:42:09

Tbh honest, I think if Trump had even gotten a sniff of how this agenda 'puts women in their place' he would have backed it to the hilt. I think he could shift position on this one if someone (using very small words) explains to him how it could be advantageous.

I count it as a stay of execution, not a victory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now