Talk

Advanced search

Frankfurt attacks fake news?

(6 Posts)
MercyMyJewels Wed 15-Feb-17 13:06:46

According to this (one and only I think) report, but it's going mental on twitter. The main story was Cologne. I don't know what to make of this. (Search Frankfurt on twitter)

www.thelocal.de/20170214/mass-sexual-assaults-by-refugees-in-frankfurt-completely-made-up

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Wed 15-Feb-17 15:21:18

The Cologne attacks took place in 2016. This appears to be a totally fabricated story about a supposed (but non-existent - bit "Bowling Green Massacre") copy-cat attack in 2017. I think Bild is the German equivalent of The Sun.

MercyMyJewels Wed 15-Feb-17 15:43:35

Ah right Thanks. I thought it was about the 2016 attacks in various cities.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 15-Feb-17 22:08:22

I'm cynical and think that people will half-read this and think it's Cologne and dismiss Cologne as 'fake news'.

notaflyingmonkey Thu 16-Feb-17 05:23:12

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/frankfurt-mass-sexual-assault-refugees-fake-made-up-bild-germany-cologne-new-year-allegations-a7581291.html

Coverage in the Independent. Frightening how quickly people bought into the lies ('fake news' doesn't cover it) and justified anti-Islamic outrage.

MercyMyJewels Thu 16-Feb-17 09:16:28

Well that's exactly what I did MrsP. I'm sure others will too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: