Talk

Advanced search

Ireland - Nordic Model

(7 Posts)
MercyMyJewels Wed 15-Feb-17 11:30:34

Has anyone been following this? Just saw on twitter that Ireland have adopted the Nordic Model. I have read about it only on here and would like to learn more about what Ireland have been doing - there seems to be quite a lot of fighting going on

Anyone been keeping up with it?

Xenophile Wed 15-Feb-17 12:01:46

Irish Times link

Is that helpful, or was it a more general discussion around the Nordic Model you were after?

I'm so pleased that this has passed in Ireland, hopefully it will be a step in this direction for the UK.

VestalVirgin Wed 15-Feb-17 12:33:44

I hope it will be implemented properly.

They have problems in Nordic countries, with policemen being very understanding of johns, sending the letters to their work address so the wife won't find out, etc.

I would assume that Ireland, a country that still has to grant women autonomy over their bodies, might have some more problems with changing their view on prostitution.

MercyMyJewels Wed 15-Feb-17 12:54:18

Both I think Xen. Thanks for the link

I am interested in how it will be implemented. Which countries have this model. I need to do some reading clearly but I am finding it hard to keep up with the deluge of news at the moment so any pointers/discussion welcome

Xenophile Wed 15-Feb-17 16:00:12

Here is a link to the Nordic Model Now website page that explains what the NM is.

Basically, it aims to reduce demand for prostituted women by placing the stigma where it should be; on the men who pay for them. It should also provide exit strategies for the women, including language teaching (because many prostituted women are trafficked from foreign countries and language barriers may be one of the things preventing them from escaping), immigration help, education and employment mentoring.

NM makes no moral judgements about the women, and doesn't seek to harm women who have really made the choice to enter into sex work. It just aims to provide a way for women to exit and reduce demand.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 15-Feb-17 21:31:19

They have problems in Nordic countries, with policemen being very understanding of johns, sending the letters to their work address so the wife won't find out, etc.

Oh ha ha. All mail is opened in my office- doesn't matter whether you are the first year trainee or the senior partner.

MercyMyJewels Thu 16-Feb-17 09:08:13

Thanks Xen flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now